Typography - Final Compilation & Reflection

2/4/2021 - 2/7/2021 / Week 1 - Week 14
Lui Hsiao Hui (Tressa) / 0342003
Typography / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Final Compilation & Reflection


INSTRUCTIONS

Task 1: Type Expression and Text Formatting

Task 2: Typographic Exploration and Communication (Text Formatting and Expression)

Task 3A: Type Design and Communication (Font Design)

Task 3B: Type Design and Communication (Greeting Sticker Design)


SUBMISSIONS

Task 1: Exercise 1 - Type Expression
2/4/2021 - 23/4/2021 / Week 1 - Week 4

Fig. 1.1 Final Type Expression - JPEG, Week 3 (17/4/2021)


Fig. 1.2 Final Type Expression - PDF, Week 3 (17/4/2021)


Fig. 1.3 Final Animated Type Expression "Wave" - GIF, Week 4 (18/4/2021)



Task 1: Exercise 2 - Text Formatting
23/4/2021 - 7/5/2021 / Week 4 - Week 6

Fig. 1.4 Final Text Formatting (Layout #1) - JPEG, Week 5 (1/5/2021)


Fig. 1.5 Final Text Formatting (Layout #2) - JPEG, Week 5 (1/5/2021)


Fig. 1.6 Final Text Formatting - PDF, Week 5 (1/5/2021)



Task 2: Typographic Exploration and Communication
30/4/2021 - 20/5/2021 / Week 5 - Week 8

Fig. 2.1 Final Typographic Exploration and Communication - JPEG, Week 7 (14/5/2021)


Fig. 2.2 Final Typographic Exploration and Communication - PDF, Week 7 (14/5/2021)



Task 3A: Type Design and Communication
14/5/2021 - 4/6/2021 / Week 7 - Week 10
Fig. 3.1 Task 3A Font Design Sketches, Week 8 (16/5/2021)


Fig. 3.2 Final Task 3A: Type Design and Communication "Diadem Demo" - JPEG, Week 9 (29/5/2020)


Fig. 3.3 "Diadem Demo" Typo Poster A4 - JPEG, Week 10 (4/6/2020)


Fig. 3.4 Final Task 3A: Type Design and Communication "Diadem Demo" - PDF, Week 9 (29/5/2020)


Fig. 3.5 "Diadem Demo" Typo Poster A4 - PDF, Week 10 (4/6/2020)




Task 3B: Type Design and Communication
4/6/2021 - 25/6/2021 / Week 11 - Week 13
Fig. 4.1 Final Task 3B: Type Design and Communication B&W - PNG, Week 12 (18/6/2021)
Fig. 4.2 Final Task 3B: Type Design and Communication Sticker Version #1 - PNG, Week 12 (18/6/2021)
Fig. 4.3 Final Task 3B: Type Design and Communication Sticker Version #2 - PNG, Week 12 (19/6/2021)


Fig. 4.4 Final Task 3B: Type Design and Communication - PDF, Week 12 (19/6/2021)


Fig. 4.5 Screenshot of the stickers in Telegram, Week 12 (19/6/2021)

Link for sticker pack: https://t.me/addstickers/ThaipusamTU


REFLECTION

Experience
My journey of learning typography was a pretty decent one. There were struggles here and there, sometimes I felt burnt out, displeased with my work, and dissatisfaction with typography. But that's all normal, we live and learn. I'm glad I got the chance to learn typography after being exposed to graphic design in 2020 (it was the year I started doing design after years of fine art). To be able to finally create my own font after admiring many graphic designers' works was the highlight of my learning experience for typography. That project was truly fun although time-consuming because of its extensive process. Typography has reinforced my observational skills and it has taught me discipline when it comes to designing type. To add on, my experience of learning typography has led me to respect type and pay more attention to what it can do to a design. It has also influenced my sensibility to type.

Observations
With the tasks given, I've learned to observe the little details of the letters, their variation in characteristics/features as well as the illusionary differences in type design. I had always thought that some typefaces are symmetrical, but after studying them and doing type deconstructions, I found that they are actually asymmetrical. Besides that, I've noticed lately that I've been paying more attention to typography while watching videos. I would catch myself observing it and admiring the type design instead of actually paying attention to the contents of the video. Sometimes I would be staring at a product in my home thinking 'that font is a no' or 'why is it not aligned' - it's quite funny. That's character development right there. 

Findings
Throughout this semester, I've found that there is more to typography than what is actually seen. They're not just words or letters arranged in interesting compositions or pretty typefaces. There is an extensive amount of rules which was quite a bit for me to take in when I first started studying typography. I had expected rules but not this much and so detailed with all the different terms, especially anatomy of the letters. It's not like art where I can create what I think looks good without the need to follow strict guidelines. As I am a person more towards art and its freedom, I had to approach learning typography and design with patience and resilience. There were many times where I wanted to break out of the mold, not wanting to care if it looks unconventional or illegible. Although art and typography are different, I found that observational skills, especially the eye for detail are very important in typography as well.


Comments