23/8/2021 - 20/9/2021 / Week 1 - Week 5
Lui Hsiao Hui (Tressa) / 0342003
Advanced Typography / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Advanced Typography / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Task 1: Exercises 1 & 2
LECTURES
WEEK 1 - LECTURE 1
Advanced Typography: Typographic Systems
Typographic systems provide a sense of purpose that focuses and directs
the decision-making.
Shape grammar is a set of shape rules that apply in a step-by-step
way to generate a set, or language, of designs.
Fig. 1.1 Axial system (source: type 365)
Axial System: All elements are organised to the left or right of
a single axis.
Fig. 1.2 Radial system (source: type 365)
Fig. 1.3 Dilatational system (source: type 365)
Fig. 1.6 Transitional (source: type 365)
Fig. 1.7 Modular system (source: type 365)
Fig. 1.8 Bilateral system (source: type 365)
WEEK 2 - LECTURE 2
Advanced Typography: Typographic Composition
Fig. 2.1 Principles of Design - emphasis
Principles of Design Composition: Emphasis, isolation,
repetition, balance (symmetry/asymmetry), alignment, perspective,
rhythm, contrast.
Fig. 2.2 The Rule of Thirds
The Rule of Thirds: A photographic guide to composition.
The intersecting lines are used as a guide to place the points of
interest, within the given space.
Environmental Grid: Based on the exploration of an existing
structure or numerous structures combined.
Fig. 2.4 Form and movement
Form and Movement: Based on the exploration of an existing Grid
Systems. The placement of a form on a page, over many pages creates
movement. The forms could represent images, text or colour.
WEEK 3 - LECTURE 3
Advanced Typography: Context and Creativity
The first mechanically produced letterforms were designed to directly
imitate handwriting. Handwriting would become the basis or
standard for form, spacing and conventions mechanical type would try
and mimic.
Fig. 3.1 Cuneiform c. 3000 B.C.E.
Fig. 3.2 Hieroglyphs
- Ideograms, represent the things they actually depict.
- As determinatives to show that the signs preceding are meant as
phonograms and to indicate the general idea of the word.
- As phonograms to represent sounds that "spell out" individual words.
Fig. 3.3 Letterforms through the ages
Early greek (5th C. B.C.E.): Drawn freehand, not constructed
with compasses and rules, and they had no serifs. In time the
strokes of these letters grew thicker, the aperture lessened, and
serifs appeared.
Roman Uncials: By the 4th century Roman letters were
becoming more rounded, the curved form allowed for fewer strokes
and could be written faster.
English Half Uncials (8th C.): In England, the uncial
evolved into a more slanted and condensed form.
Carolingian Minuscule: Capitals at the start of a
sentence, spaces between words and punctuation. It was this style
that became the pattern for the Humanistic writing of the
fifteenth century; this latter, in turn, was the basis of our
lower-case roman type.
Black Letter (12-15 C. CE): Characterised by tight
spacing and condensed lettering. Evenly spaced verticals dominated
the letterform. Condensing line spacing and letter spacing reduced
the amount of costly materials in book production.
The Italian Renaissance: Newly rediscovered
letterforms Antica. The renaissance analysis of form that
was being applied to art and architecture was directed toward
letterform — resulting in a more perfect or rationalised letter.
Fig. 3.4 ‘Indian’ subcontinent the Indus Valley Civilization (IVC) script
(3500-2000 BCE)
The oldest writing found in the ‘Indian’ subcontinent the Indus
Valley Civilization (IVC) script (3500-2000 BCE), is as yet
undeciphered and seems to have been somewhat logo-syllabic in
nature.
Fig. 3.5 Brahmi script (450–350 BCE)
The earliest writing system developed in India after the Indus
script. It is one of the most influential writing systems; all
modern Indian scripts and several hundred scripts found in Southeast
and East Asia are derived from Brahmi.
Fig. 3.6 Southeast Asia scripts, scripts of the communities that assimilated into Peninsula Malay
communities.
WEEK 4 - LECTURE 4
Advanced Typography: Designing Type
Type Design Process
1. Research
- Understand type history, type anatomy, type conventions
and terminologies.
- Determine the type’s purpose or what it would be used for
and what different applications it will be used in.
- Study existing fonts that are presently being used for
inspiration/ideas/reference/context/usage pattern/etc.
2. Sketching: Traditional/digital
3. Digitisation
Professional softwares: FontLab and Glyphs App. Some
designers also use Adobe Illustrator then only the
specialised font apps. This however is frowned upon by the
purist.
4. Testing
The results of testing are part of the process of refining
and correcting aspects of the typeface. Prototyping is also
part of the testing process and leads to important feedback.
Depending on the typeface category (display type/text type)
the readability and legibility of the typeface becomes an
important consideration. However, it is not as crucial if
the typeface is a display type, where expression of the form
takes a little more precedence.
5. Deploy
Even after deploying a completed typeface there are always
teething problems that did not come to the fore during the
prototyping and testing phases. Thus, the task of revision
doesn’t end upon deployment. The rigour of the testing is
important so that the teething issues remain minor.
Typeface Construction
Using grids (with circular forms) can facilitate the
construction of letterforms and is a possible method to
build/create/design your letterform.
Construction and considerations
Different forms and constructions must be taken into
account when designing a new type. An important visual
correction is the extrusion of curved (and protruding)
forms past the baseline and cap line (overshoot). This
also applies to vertical alignment between curved and
straight forms.
Fitting the type: A visual correction is also
needed for the distance between letters. The letters
must be altered to a uniform visual white space - the
white space between the letters should appear the same.
Fig. 4.3 Ink traps
Ink traps were generally used when printing on cheap
absorbent paper and when printing is fast and not very
precise. Excess ink gathers at the corners, but with ink
traps the corners remain visible.
WEEK 5 - LECTURE 5
Advanced Typography: Perception and Organisation
Contrast
Fig. 5.1 Size (by Carl Dair)
Fig. 5.2 Weight
Fig. 5.3 Form
Fig. 5.4 Structure
Fig. 5.5 Texture
Fig. 5.6 Direction (by Carl Dair)
Fig. 5.7 Colour
Form: The overall look and feel of the elements that
make up the typographic composition. To represent a concept by
doing so in a visual form. The interplay of meaning and form
brings a balanced harmony both in terms of function and
expression.
When a typeface is perceived as a form, it no longer reads as a
letter because it has been manipulated by distortion, texture,
enlargement, and has been extruded into a space.
Fig. 5.9 Gestalt theory for organisation
INSTRUCTIONS
Task 1: Exercise 1 - Typographic Systems
For this exercise, we are to explore 8 systems which are Axial, Radial,
Dilatational, Random, Grid, Modular, Transitional and Bilateral in
InDesign using the content given in the MIB. We were also instructed to
watch the InDesign demonstration videos in the lecture playlist.
- Size 200 x 200 mm
- Colours: Black and additional colour
- Minor graphical elements
Week 1 Practical
Fig. 6.1 Axial - attempt #1, Week 1 (23/8/2021)
During our week 1 practical, we were instructed to attempt the axial
system first. It was my first time using InDesign again after a few
months, so it took a while to get used to it and designing again. My first
attempts were all trial and error, boring and feel a little constricted. I
was advised to explore other typefaces besides Univers Extended.
Furthermore, the InDesign videos by Mr. Vinod helped refresh my memory on
InDesign mechanics, and especially helped me further understand the
modular system.
InDesign Progress
Fig. 6.2 Creation process (grids and guides), Week 1 (23-27/8/2021)
Fig. 6.2 shows the creation process of a few of the systems. I used a
mixture of serif and sans serif typefaces for different designs - for
exploration purposes and variation.
All body texts are 8 pt to 12 pt, but most of them are 10 pt with a 13.2
pt leading. Title point size varies. The accent colour is red along with
black and white because those are Taylor's colours.
I didn't do any sketches because I prefer to work immediately in the
software when it comes to layout designs. It just allows me to visualise
my ideas better.
Fig. 7.1 Axial - attempt #2, Week 1 (26/8/2021)
Although this seems like an easy typographic system, it took me a lot of
time to figure out a good layout because it was very easy to create an
imbalance between the body text and title. Mr. Vinod mentioned avoiding
heavy titles because of the imbalance, so that's what I tried to fix after
my first attempts at the axial system.
Fonts used:
Left: Univers LT Std (Extended and Black Extended)
Middle: Univers LT Std (Light, Roman, Bold)
Right: Univers LT Std (Roman, Bold) and ITC New Baskerville Std (Bold
Italic, Italic)
Fig. 7.2 Radial - attempt #1, Week 1 (27/8/2021)
For the radial system, I was trying to create a light ray look/pattern,
hence the extended texts at the edge of the canvas of the left design.
Fonts used:
Left: Futura Std (Book, Heavy, Bold)
Right: Bembo Std (Bold, Regular)
Fig. 7.3 Dilatational - attempt #1, Week 1 (27/8/2021)
The dilatational system was another system I struggled with. It was hard
to come up with creative solutions to ensure information hierarchy yet
also creating an attractive layout. For the left design, the placement of
the bold extended title was an attempt at balancing out the body texts.
Overall, there seems to be something lacking in the layout. I'm not very
fond of these designs.
Fonts used:
Left: Univers LT Std (Bold Extended, Light)
Right: Univers LT Std (Bold Extended Oblique, Bold, Light, Extended
Oblique)
Fig. 7.4 Random - attempt #1, Week 1 (28/8/2021)
Because it is a random system, I used different fonts for each letter in
the title to create a random look. The left one is a more experimental
random system. I layered the texts randomly with some text mirrored and
numbers emphasized with the use of different fonts and point sizes. It is
not legible and is more expression-based. I actually made it out of anger
and frustration because I wasn't liking what I was doing. It turned out to
be my favourite out of this exercise because it became a sort of 'vent'
art.
I put a lot of thought into the arrangement of the design in the middle. I
emphasized "open public lectures" with a mixture of fonts and used red for
the title "The ABCs of Bauhaus Design Theory" so it would still remain
eye-catching. I also incorporated the transitional system by layering.
From the examples I've seen, the random system may be random but the
content still has its own groups so there's still some sense when
read. So I kept that in mind when arranging the texts. It's ironic how the
random system took the longest to make. One would think that it being
random means that less thought is put into it.
Fonts used: Most of the 10 typefaces
Fig. 7.5 Grid - attempt #1, Week 1 (25/8/2021)
The layout in the middle is again more of an experimental one and also
adheres to the axial system. I quite like it because of how 'weird' it
looks. Besides that, one thing I realised about using a black background
is that it makes the piece less empty. The black colour seems to
fill up the empty space. I think it looks better than leaving the
background white, where the empty space becomes more apparent.
Fonts used:
Left: Univers LT Std (Bold, Roman, Light)
Middle: Univers LT Std (Bold, Roman, Light Condensed) and Bembo Std
(Semibold, Semibold Italic)
Right: Univers LT Std (Bold, Roman)
Fig. 7.6 Modular - attempt #1, Week 1 (28/8/2021)
Each of the content/group of texts takes up either 1 square to 4 squares.
Refer to Fig. 6.2 above to see the InDesign grids. As for the graphical
elements in the design on the left, I was trying to incorporate the
Bauhaus elements.
Fonts used:
Left: Univers LT Std (Bold, Roman, Extended)
Right: Univers LT Std (Bold, Extended, Bold Extended, Black Extended)
Fig. 7.7 Transitional - attempt #1, Week 1 (27/8/2021)
With the transitional system, I played around with layering and
incorporating empty space. I wanted to make the text look like they were
floating/holding onto one another. For the left design, I was also
inspired by the glitch look, hence why I added some lines, squares and
rectangular shapes.
Fig. 7.8 Bilateral - attempt #1, Week 1 (28/8/2021)
The bilateral system was also one of the challenging ones as it is easy to
make a boring layout because everything is centralised. To combat the
boringness, I tried to make an interesting typographic title (left design)
by using a mixture of light italics, light condensed and light fonts from
the same type family (ITC Garamond Std). I like the look of it and it
reminds me of magazine designs.
Fonts used:
Left: Univers LT Std (Light, Roman, Bold) and ITC Garamond Std (Light,
Light Condensed, Light Italic)
Right: Univers LT Std (Light, Light Oblique, Bold) and Bodoni Std (Italic)
Week 2 attempts - Revised and further exploration
Fig. 7.9 Bilateral - revised, Week 2 (30/8/2021)
In week 2, Mr. Vinod suggested moving the body texts to the left for
better balance. I also decided to change the colours because it felt like
something was missing and I like this colour scheme better.
Fig. 7.10 Radial - revised, Week 2 (30/8/2021)
Mr. Vinod also mentioned that my design for radial was imbalanced. I
didn't view it that way at first, but after trying out his suggestion of
putting something at the top, I think it looks more stable. The text at
the top creates the illusion of a slanted square which I think makes the
design even more dynamic and it also creates eye movement.
Fig. 7.11 Dilatational - further exploration, Week 2 (4/9/2021)
I mentioned that I didn't like my attempts at the dilatational system. I
noticed that I was staying in my comfort zone, only using small point
sizes. To improve that I tried using larger and stylised titles as the
emphasis to create a more dynamic look. The title's point sizes decrease
and increase in size, which creates dimension as if the text is moving
towards viewers or is receding back into the background. In a sense, this
design feels more 'kinetic' compared to my previous attempts in week 1.
This took a longer time to do compared to the random system because it was
very hard to ensure good arrangement with the titles receding in point
sizes. It causes the need for some circles to become ovals (shape path).
The design in the middle is an attempt at layering to balance out the
white colour because it seemed lacking without some white at the corner.
However, it looked unappealing to me so I did a 3rd attempt which looks
neater.
Final Task 1 - Exercise 1: Typographic Systems
Fig. 8.1 Final Axial System - JPEG, Week 2 (30/8/2021)
Fig. 8.2 Final Radial System - JPEG, Week 2 (30/8/2021)
Fig. 8.3 Final Dilatational System - JPEG, Week 2 (/9/2021)
Fig. 8.4 Final Random System (Layout #1) - JPEG, Week 1 (24/8/2021)
Fig. 8.5 Final Random System (Layout #2) - JPEG, Week 1 (25/8/2021)
Fig. 8.6 Final Grid System - JPEG, Week 1 (25/8/2021)
Fig. 8.7 Final Modular System - JPEG, Week 2 (29/8/2021)
Fig. 8.8 Final Transitional System - JPEG, Week 1 (24/8/2021)
Fig. 8.9 Final Bilateral System - JPEG, Week 2 (30/8/2021)
Fig. 8.10 Final Task 1 - Exercise 1: Typographic Systems - PDF, Week 2
(4/9/2021)
Fig. 8.11 Final Task 1 - Exercise 1: Typographic Systems Grids and Guides
- PDF, Week 2 (4/9/2021)
*Did not use grids and guides for random and transitional systems so
they're not included in the PDF. Some texts are not aligned to the
baseline grid (axial) in order to balance out the title.
Task 1: Exercise 2 - Type and Play
Part 1: Finding Type
For exercise 2 part 1, we are tasked to analyse, dissect and identify
potential letterforms (4 letters only) within a chosen image of a
subject - organic or man-made.
- Uppercase or lowercase only
- Choose reference typeface from the 10 typefaces
1. Chosen subject
Fig. 9.1 Chosen subject - plant, Week 3 (6/9/2021)
The image is my own. I chose a plant as my subject because I think the
organic shapes would make for an interesting exploration. Before
taking the photo, I observed the branches for a while to see if I can
identify any potential letters. The letters I found were D, K, L, A.
Letterform extraction
Fig. 9.2 Traced letters - D, K, L, A, Week 3 (6/9/2021)
I used the pen tool in Adobe Illustrator to trace the branches. I
tried my best to keep the details of the branches, such as the smaller
branches jutting out.
Fig. 9.3 Extracted letterforms - D, K, L, A, Week 3 (6/9/2021)
From the extracted letters, I noticed that there are many sharp edges,
curved and slanted stems, and the contrast of thin and thick strokes
to the letterforms.
2. Sketch
Fig. 9.4 Ideation for the final letterforms, Week 3 (6/9/2021)
After extracting the letters, I sketched out a rough idea of how I
want the final letters to look. I wanted it to be a serif display
inspired font. In the sketches, you can see the constant changing of
the features of the letters (serif, direction of curves and angles
etc).
Reference
Fig. 9.5 Typeface reference - Bembo Std
We were instructed to have a reference to help with the
construction/refinement of our typeface. From the 10 typefaces, I
chose Bembo Std because it has a roughly similar "K" and my typeface
would be a serif.
3. Digitalisation
Fig. 9.6 Guides in Adobe Illustrator
Here is an overview of the attempts in Adobe Illustrator. The
artboards are 1000 px height and 3000 px width.
Fig. 9.7 Attempt #1 - Simplified letterforms, Week 3 (6/9/2021)
In my first attempt, I deleted a few anchor points of the original
extraction to simplify the shapes of the letters. The curves and
slants are minimised, as well as the stroke widths being a little more
standardised. The sharp edges are not all blunted at this stage
because I planned on reshaping the letters.
Fig. 9.8 Attempt #2 - Straightened stems, Week 3 (6/9/2021)
For the second attempt, I started using grids so the letterforms are
equal in their stem widths. I increased the contrast between the
stroke widths of the stems and other parts of the letters. Besides
that, I blunted the ends of the sharp points - which I learned from
Typography class last semester.
At this stage, I really struggled with the "A". It is very imbalanced
due to the fact that it's slanted to the left and the stem is thicker
on the left as well. There is not enough thickness on the right to
balance the weight, so overall it just looks very awkward. I also
don't like the way the left stem ends with a slant, so for the next
attempt, I replaced that with a serif.
Fig. 9.9 Attempt #3 - Straightened stems (serif), Week 3 (11/9/2021)
Here I focused on refining the "A". I tried to resolve the imbalance
by creating movement with the use of curves to the stem. I also added
the serif feature at the top and bottom of the stem as a way of giving
the letters some 'grounding'. However, it is still imbalanced.
I also added serifs to the top and bottom of the letters in this
stage, as a way of bringing about cohesion with all the letters. But I
think it feels very 'modernised' in a sense and does not really convey
its original organic form.
Fig. 9.10 Attempt #4 - Returned organic curves, Week 3 (11/9/2021)
Since the straight letterforms look very different from the original
extraction, I decided to introduce back its organicness by curving the
stems slightly. I wanted the letters to maintain their organic shapes,
while also looking like a serif font. The contrast between the stroke
widths is also increased for that sleekness and extra flare to the
type design. Overall, I think the outcome does look like thorned
branches which were what I was going for.
Fig. 9.11 Comparison of original extraction and attempt #4 letter "D",
Week 3 (11/9/2021)
Quite self-explanatory - the features are the same, just the
difference in the slant and better contrast with the stroke widths.
Fig. 9.12 Detail of the letter "D" - subtle blunt point
This blunt point isn't as blunted as the rest because I wanted it to
look sleek.
Fig. 9.13 Comparison of original extraction and attempt #4 letter "K",
Week 3 (11/9/2021)
The "K" went through a whole makeover but still retained its original
shape, just simplified. I decided to exaggerate some details for that
extra spice to the letter.
Fig. 9.14 Comparison of original extraction and attempt #4 letter
"L", Week 3 (11/9/2021)
Fig. 9.15 Comparison of original extraction and attempt #4 letter "A",
Week 3 (11/9/2021)
I managed to refine the "A" to something I am satisfied with. Because
I was struggling a lot with it, I referred back to my reference -
Bembo Std (Fig. 9.5 above) and found that maybe I should switch the
thicker stem to the right side, instead of having it on the left. The
letter itself is already slanted to the left so having the thicker
stem on the right would balance it out. After changing that it looks
much better.
From lecture 4, I learned about ink traps in type design (refer to
Fig. 4.3 in the lectures section). Nowadays ink traps are incorporated
into type design as a stylistic feature rather than its original
purpose of reducing ink bleeds. I decided that the "A" would look more
interesting with one, and I think it also looks like a tiny branch
growing out of the main branch.
4. Messing around studies (attempt #4)
Fig. 9.16 Ligatures/joined letterforms (attempt #4), Week 4
(12/9/2021)
Fig. 9.17 Form study (attempt #4), Week 4 (12/9/2021)
I made this to make them look like their original subject -
branches.
5. Further refinement (Week 4)
Fig. 10.1 Attempt #5 - Straightened stems (serif), Week 4 (13/9/2021)
In week 4, Mr. Vinod said that attempt #3 has more formality like an
actual typeface, while the curves in attempt #4 made the type
informal. Though it was understood that I was trying to bring back its
organic form, a refined attempt #3 would better suit for the final
type design.
When it came to the organic curves (bowl, crossbar, arm and leg etc),
I relied more on observing and intuition if the letters look balanced,
rather than relying on the grids to show me where to place the anchor
points or curve the points. I only adjusted the grids once I was
satisfied with the refinement to show that the features of the letters
are aligned/in the same section.
Fig. 10.2 Letter "D" - non-lowered and lowered bowl, Week 4
(13/9/2021)
Mr. Vinod mentioned to lower the bowl of the "D", however it looked
very weird to me. It just feels off, somehow its like the feature
(jutting out point) is trying to 'hide'. The left is the one I prefer
and right is the lowered bowl.
Fig. 10.3 Attempt #3 compared to attempt #5, Week 4 (13/9/2021)
*Attempt #3 - light gray; Attempt #5 - outline
To make the bowl of the "D" seem lowered, I moved the shape slightly
to the right so it takes up more space. I also adjusted the thickness
of the bowl to be less thin. A serif is added at the bottom end of the
bowl for more stability, and also to match with the other letters.
For the rest of the letters I tweaked the stroke widths to ensure it's
all cohesive and maintains equal visual weight. I decided to change
the arm and leg of the "K" and the crossbar of the "A" because their
shapes were bothering me. Since the "A" has an ink trap, I thought the
"K" should have one as well.
Final Part 1: Finding Type
Fig. 10.4 Compiled process, Week 3-4 (6-13/9/2021)
Fig. 10.5 Original extracted letterforms compared to the final type
design, Week 4 (13/9/2021)
Fig. 10.6 Final type design, Week 4 (13/9/2021)
Fig. 10.7 Letter D, Week 4 (13/9/2021)
Fig. 10.8 Letter K, Week 4 (13/9/2021)
Fig. 10.9 Letter L, Week 4 (13/9/2021)
Fig. 10.10 Letter A, Week 4 (13/9/2021)
Fig. 10.11 Type showcase, Week 4 (13/9/2021)
I edited the original image of the plant to fit the aesthetic of the type.
Fig. 10.12 Final Finding Type - PDF, Week 4 (13/9/2021)
Part 2: Type and Image
In part 2 of exercise 2, we are to chose an image and incorporate a
word/sentence of our choice which fits the chosen image. The objective
is to enhance/support the interplay between the letter/word/sentence and
the selected visual. The text must be woven into a symbiotic
relationship with the image.
- Do not manipulate the image (colour editing is fine).
- Text and image takes up 50% each, they shouldn't overwhelm each other,
you'll want to see the interplay of each other.
- Either add to the motion or guide the motion.
Fig. 11.1 Original photo sourced from Pinterest
Fig. 11.2 Attempt #1 - "I burn you? You melt me", Week 4
(15/9/2021)
The cheesy phrase "I burn you? You melt me" is from a book I read and I thought it suited the image.
For the words "I burn you?", I was trying to make it look a part of the
fire, and as if it's burning the person on the left. It's also acting as
the motion of the image. The word itself was overlayed twice - the top
layer is white, with the bottom layer being yellow because as observed
the fire has a yellow ring surrounding it. It was challenging
manipulating the text to look like fire because readability was a
concern. This took multiple tries however I still think it needs
refinement or better placement.
I wanted to make "you melt me" look like it's projected onto the model's
face (like projector photoshoots), so it's slightly curved to follow the
contour of the face. I also overlayed it twice to get that projector
fringing look, hence there's the slight pink on the outer edges.
Fonts used:
"I burn you?": ITC New Baskerville Std Bold
"You melt me": Univers LT Std Bold
Tools used:
Liquify: To warp the text.
Gaussian blur: To blur the entire text to make it blend seamlessly
with the image.
Tilt-shift blur: Used on the edges of "I burn you?" to imitate the
smoke from fire.
Blending modes 'divide' and 'overlay': To create the projector text
look/effect for "you melt me".
Fig. 11.3 Attempt #2 - "I burn you? You melt me", Week 5
(18/9/2021)
Attempt #2 is more of a movie poster style. The flame text is centered
and follows the contour of both models' side profiles, and the
projector-style text is placed at the bottom of the image. I decided to
overlap them asymmetrically for extra flare.
Fig. 11.4 Original photo by Julien Tatham
Fig. 11.5 Attempt #3 - "I waited for you", Week 5 (19/9/2021)
I decided to try using another image because I felt like I wasn't doing
enough. For this one, I wanted to bring out the moodiness of the image.
I came up with the phrase and made the words blend/melt according to the
fogging of the glass. I used gaussian blur, tilt-shift, and the liquify
tool to drag the ends of the text (melting look). It also brings out a
bit of dimension to the text because there's a sense of how the
'clearer' parts of the text are closer to the glass, while the blurred
parts seem further away from the glass. This is a more simple and straightforward piece. While I am worried about if it comes out as boring, I think it does portray the feeling of the image.
Fonts used: Univers LT Std Roman and Bold
Tools used:
Liquify: To melt/fog the ends of the text "for you".
Gaussian blur: To blur the entire text to make it blend seamlessly
with the image.
Tilt-shift blur: Used on the edges of the text.
Blending mode 'overlay' and lowered the opacity so it matches with
the ambience.
Hours spent for Task 1
Exercise 1 - 30 hours (span of 2 weeks)
Exercise 2, part 1 - 22 hours (1 week)
Exercise 2, part 2 - 7 hours (1 week)
FEEDBACK
Week 1 - Exercise 1: Typographic Systems
General feedback: Avoid large titles
and bold numbers as they can be weighty and distracting, causing imbalance.
Angling large titles can take away the stillness and imbalance. Avoid
absolute diagonal axis because it creates an extreme division. Not more than
1 pt stroke width, ideally 0.5 pt stroke width.
Specific feedback: Explore different
fonts. There is a long gap in the middle, feels like something needs to
happen there. (first attempt)
Week 2 - Exercise 1: Typographic Systems
General feedback: Move text to fill empty space. Don't use too many non-objective
elements. Take note of kerning, letter spacing. Reduce point size for
the timings or use small caps (downsize). Ensure eye movement and
hierarchy of information. If there's something pulling on one side the
other side should have one as well.
Specific feedback: The top part needs something to balance it out (Radial). Move the body
text to the left for better balance (Bilateral).
Week 3 - Exercise 1: Typographic Systems
Specific feedback: Very spot on decision-making process and ability to see details and
issues. There's technical adherence to typography yet there's also a
good aesthetic component.
Week 4 - Exercise 2, Part 1: Finding Type
General feedback: Avoid oversimplifying or adding features that aren't in the original
extraction.
Specific feedback: The second last attempt is preferred because it is more stable and
looks formal (like a normal typeface) compared to the final choice.
Lower the bowl of the "D" for better stability, refine the "A" as it
looks imbalanced.
Week 5 - Exercise 2, Part 2: Type and Image
Specific feedback: Good sensitivity to the fogging of the text, and making the text fit the quality of the image.
REFLECTION
Experience
For exercise 1, I mainly struggled with being creative with the layouts
while sticking strictly to the systems, as well as battling my
perfectionistic side. I was extremely worried about my work looking
similar to my classmates, so there was an added pressure of not just
performing up to expectations but also coming up with layouts that
weren't 'common'. I would scrutinise my work a lot and abandon or start
over a new layout after spending hours on one. Some of the systems were
less worrying, particularly the random system because I got to let loose
and ‘disregard’ most typographic rules which made designing it fun. For
the finding type exercise, I actually enjoyed it very much and liked the
idea of it. It was a creative way to develop type design from subjects.
I considered it fun too because I enjoy type design the most in
typography. Lastly, the type and image exercise was slightly challenging because of maintaining legibility. Though it was a good exercise because it trains type expression, type integration with the image, creativity and layout.
Observations
In exercise 1, besides observing the usual typography basics such as leading, point
size, alignments etc, I had to also pay attention to balance. Ensuring
equal weight distribution even in an asymmetrical design/layout is
important. From the finding type exercise, I learned to observe the
letters closely to find out what are the issues that make it look
awkward. Nevertheless, learning to observe an organic subject to
identify letters was quite interesting and fun in a way. Somehow it's
like a treasure hunt and you use what you found to create something
reminiscent of its original form. In the final exercise of type and image, I learned to observe the qualities of the image such as mood, colour and the subject I was trying to integrate my type with. It's important to understand the subject so I'll know how to incorporate the text - for example, the flame has a ring of yellow around it, so my text should have that quality too.
Findings
Before attempting exercise 1, my view on typographic systems was a bit
stubborn. I simply thought that because they are ‘systems’, there was
limited room for creativity. But obviously, after exploring various ways
of spicing up the layouts, my views changed. I found that once I got the
hang of the systems, it was actually fun to come up with different
layouts. Lastly, when doing the type and image exercise, I found that fluidity/movement of the text is a key point when creating an interplay between the two.
FURTHER READING
Fig. 13.1 Typographic Systems by Kimberly Elam (2007)
Elam, K. (2007). Typographic Systems. Princeton Architectural Press,
New York
I was able to gain a better understanding of the typographic systems based
on this book. I'm also reminded of the role of the design principles such as
repetition, emphasis, contrast, as such and their importance in enhancing
the typographic systems.
Fig. 13.2 Radial System - Right and Obtuse Angles (Page 45)
Before reading this book, I thought the radial system was strictly a
circular composition. I didn't know that it extends to right and obtuse
angles (squares/angular shapes).
Fig. 13.3 Random System - Repetition (Page 82)
As mentioned before the design principles play a part in the typographic
systems. Fig. shows repetition being apparent in the use of random system.
Fig. 13.4 Bilateral System - Symmetry and Tone (Page 144)
With this page I learned about creating visual interest with tone - by
flipping the text upside down and also tonal value/colour of the text. It
creates movement as well which makes the rather still layout look more
interesting.
































































































Comments
Post a Comment
be nice