18/9/2021 - 14/10/2021 / Week 4 - Week 8
Lui Hsiao Hui (Tressa) / 0342003
Video and Sound Production / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Video and Sound Production / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Project 2: Shooting and Editing
INSTRUCTIONS
Project 2: Shooting and Editing
1. Watch Zach King's videos
In week 1, we were briefed about Project 2 and were instructed to watch 3 of
Zach King's visual effects videos. Below are the videos I watched.
This short film was quite entertaining and really well done. The objects
turning into flat images were very creative. The clothes changing was also a
cool effect.
Fig. 1.2 "Best of Zach King Magic Compilation 2020 - Part 1"
I decided to watch compilations so I can get more ideas for the visual
effects. At 4:45 the mop changes into a dog which surprised me because of
how similar they both looked. I'm considering doing this visual effect where
an object changes into a similar object. 1:34 is also one I'm interested in
trying. The way Zach did it was very seamless.
My favourite from this compilation would have to be the museum paintings.
They looked so real at first until they started moving, and the skit was
quite funny too. However, for my project, I don't think I'll be able to do
this effect as I will need illusionary props.
For the chosen visual effects, I decided to do clothes changing and paper to object.
2. Plot Segmentation and Storyboarding
Fig. 2.1 Video proposal, Week 4 (18/9/2021)
In weeks 3 to 4, we were tasked to begin our video proposal. Starting with a story idea and then moving on to plot segmentation and storyboarding by taking photos of each shot. For my story, I decided to make something humourous and relate it to this module. At the beginning of the semester, we were informed that we needed professional headphones so I decided to create a story based on that.
3. Shooting
Fig. 2.2 Editing in Adobe Premiere Pro, Week 6 (28/9/2021)
I also did some colour adjustments using curves as seen on the right panel.
Fig. 2.3 Attempt #1, Week 6 (28/9/2021)
This is my first attempt. I had to take out the waking up scene because it made the video over 30 seconds. The voice used was text-to-speech. Mr. Martin mentioned that the music doesn't really fit and that maybe I should put the music at the end of the video or remove it. He also mentioned adding sound effects and have the natural background white noise.
For the visual effect scenes, I took them entirely in one shot to avoid accidentally moving the tripod or shifting too much from my original position. I then cut them to seem like different clips in Premiere Pro.
Fig. 2.4 Attempt #2, Week 6 (30/9/2021)
Based on the feedback, I did a second attempt. This time I moved the music to the lecture part to emphasise the 'funny'.
Fig. 2.5 Additional colour grading with hues saturation curves, Week 7 (6/10/2021)
After reviewing my second attempt, Mr. Martin suggested finetuning the colour grading. So to fix that I used hue saturation curves which allows more control over the individual colours. We were also instructed to add rolling end credits.
Fig. 2.6 Final Project 2 - "b r o k e", Week 8 (14/10/2021)
Camera: Canon EOS 700D
Lens: 18-55mm (kit lens)
Music: Wii
Sound effects: freesound.org and recorded by me
FEEDBACK
Week 5: Mr. Martin suggested that I should try over the shoulder for
the laptop screen scene so it's more dynamic. The mirror changing clothes
scene is more of a medium-wide shot rather than an over-the-shoulder.
Week 6: The music doesn't really fit, either remove it or keep it at the end. Add some sound effects and white noise.
Week 7: The video seems desaturated, perhaps make it a little more vibrant with colour correction.
REFLECTION
This project was pretty straightforward and quite 'lighthearted' compared to other modules. The dancing video exercise felt more like a project compared to this too because that took more work. From this project and the lectures, I learned the different shot sizes, creating a storyboard as well as plot segmentation. I usually like proceeding with ideas without a storyboard, but I've learned that detailed visual planning is essential when it comes to film/videos and of course animation as well.


Comments
Post a Comment
be nice