20/9/2021 - 15/11/2021 / Week 5 - Week 13
Lui Hsiao Hui (Tressa) / 0342003
Video and Sound Production / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Project 1: Audio Editing
INSTRUCTIONS
Project 1: Audio Editing
Exercise 1 - Audio Dubbing
In week 4, we were assigned to edit sound effects and audio dubbing to a
muted video clip from the Disney animated film "Soul".
Sound effects are to be sourced from:
Fig. 1.1 Sound effects used, Week 5 (20/9/2021)
*I used After Effects for this exercise because Premiere Pro wasn't
working. Glitching issue and unable to click anything on the timeline
therefore couldn't edit with it.
Fig. 1.1 shows the overlayed sound effects to create an authentic feel of
the surrounding.
Fig. 1.2 Pitching the dubbed audio, Week 5 (20/9/2021)
The dubbed audio was pitched lower with Adobe Audition but it made the audio
extremely tacky. That's the only downside of this exercise, the sound
effects are good but the dubbing is terrible.
Fig. 1.3 Audio Dubbing (1st attempt), Week 5 (20/9/2021)
Link to the script: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1GK_RE7x-Ec_KpaO4ltNGYdidCOoQRc8i
Fig. 1.4 Final Exercise 1 - Audio Dubbing, Week 13 (20/11/2021)
In week 13, Mr. Martin advised us to improve our audio dubbing by using the stretch and pitch effect in Adobe Audition. I also used the parametric equalizer to make the dubbing sound clearer because the first attempt had really bad quality. Previously I only used pitch shifter so it wasn't as clean.
Exercise 2 - Sound Shaping
For exercise 2 we have to use the audio clip provided and edit the
following effects onto it.
- Voice of phone call
- Voice coming from inside of the closet
- Voice of big stadium
- Voice of toilet/bathroom
- Underground cave
We learned how to do this through Mr. Martin's demonstration on Adobe
Audition.
Fig. 2.1 Phone call - parametric equalizer, Week 11 (6/11/2021)
Brought down the bass and treble, mid-range increase.
Fig. 2.2 Muffled - parametric equalizer, Week 11 (6/11/2021)
Brought down the treble, mid-range top. I also increased the bass for a more
muffled effect.
Fig. 2.3 Bathroom/toilet - reverb, Week 11 (6/11/2021)
Toilet/bathroom: Depressing karaoke bar reverb with custom settings
Stadium: Pumping reverb with custom settings
Fig. 2.4 Underground cave - reverb, Week 11 (6/11/2021)
Cave: Parametric equalizer, thickener, pumping reverb all custom settings
Link to all Exercise 2 audio files:
Exercise 3 - Sound Design
For exercise 3 we have to use the audio clips provided and edit them based on the following:
- Explosion magnification
- Variation of punch sounds (triple punch)
- Monster of alien voice (select one part from sample voice)
Fig. 3.1 & 3.2 Explosion magnification - layering and volume mixer, Week 13 (15/11/2021)
For the explosion, I wanted to create a distant-sounding explosion. So I layered the tracks with different reverb and effects to make them sound more magnified. I also used the mixer to adjust the volume of certain tracks.
Fig. 3.3 Triple punch - parametric equalizer, Week 13 (15/11/2021)
I edited the punch sound with pitch shifter as well, to change the sound from the original.
Fig. 3.4 Triple punch - layering, Week 13 (15/11/2021)
Layering the punch sound effects. I also applied fade in and out by sliding the curve on both ends.
Fig. 3.5 Monster (alien voice) - delay, Week 13 (15/11/2021)
Monster (alien voice): Pitch shifter, stretch and pitch, noise reduction, delay
For the monster voice, I wanted it to sound like it's growling/voice clicking - an example would be the clickers from the game "The Last of Us".
Link to all Exercise 3 audio files:
FEEDBACK
Week 6: Well done, good mixing of sound effects. The only thing is that cats are
usually high-pitched.
Week 13: Very good job for Exercise 2.
Week 14: Very good. Explosion no "climax" but okay, different approach.
REFLECTION
With this project, I learned how to use Adobe Audition and apply basic effects/settings to create specific sound effects to audio. It was quite interesting to mess around with, exploring different types of settings. It's very useful and I'll definitely be using this knowledge in my stop motion final project.



Comments
Post a Comment
be nice