4/1/2022 - 4/2/2022 / Week 1 - Week 5
Lui Hsiao Hui (Tressa) / 0342003
Information Design / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Information Design / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Exercises, FLIP Topics & Practical
INSTRUCTIONS
Exercise 1: Quantify & Visualise Data
WEEK 1
For our first exercise, we are to quantify (count) our chosen items and
arrange them into a presentable layout or chart.
Fig. 1.1 Grouping arrangement progression, Week 1 (4/1/2022)
For this exercise, I used animal figurines (Littlest Pet Shop) and grouped
them according to their colours on top of an A2 paper. The first few
attempts were following a neutral colour palette. Later on, I went with
more contrasting colours instead of keeping the neutral colour palette
because I thought it would create a better distinction between the
groupings. I also removed the reddish-brown group because there was
already another group of brown coloured figurines and I wanted more
variation and interest. After sorting them all in a layout I liked I wrote
down the data - colour and number of each animal, for example, cats: 11,
dogs: 2.
Fig. 1.2 Final first draft, Week 1 (4/1/2022)
Based on Ms Anis's feedback, the title should be larger for better visual
hierarchy.
Fig. 1.3 Final Exercise 1: Quantify Data, Week 2 (13/1/2022)
Exercise 2: L.A.T.C.H.
WEEK 2
Location / Alphabet / Time / Category / Hierarchy
For exercise 2, we are to use a digital photo editing/illustration
software to assemble the provided pokemons (minimum 4) into a L.A.T.C.H.
infographic poster.
Fig. 2.1 Information sorting, Week 2 (14/1/2022)
All pokemon images and information were retrieved from https://pokemondb.net/pokedex/game/sun-moon#dex-akala-island. I also referred to a map of Akala Island with information on the
pokemons in different locations.
Fig. 2.2 Design inspiration
Taking inspiration from the old Nintendo games, I wanted to do a pokemon
pixel art looking infographic.
Fig. 2.3 Pixelating the pokemon images, Week 2 (14/1/2022)
Before making the infographic, I converted all pokemon images to pixel
art. This was done using 'Pixelate' > 'Mosaic' in Photoshop.
Fig. 2.4 Work in progress, Week 2 (14/1/2022)
Fig. 2.5 Final Exercise 2: L.A.T.C.H. Pokemon Infographic, Week 2
(14/1/2022)
I ended up not using the pixelated title because I didn't like how
blurry it looked. The symbols were also not pixelated in order to not
'warp' the symbol. To tie the entire infographic design together, the
colours were edited using curves as well as tinting the blacks to brown
for that vintage look.
FLIP TOPICS
FLIP 1: Types of Infographic
Fig. 3.1 Types of Infographics by Group 7 - slides, Week 1 (7/1/2022)
Fig. 3.2 Types of Infographics by Group 7 - video presentation, Week 2
(10/1/2022)
In our groups, we were tasked to research the types of infographics and
create a video presentation.
Re-designing an infographic
During our second class in Week 1, we were instructed to find a poorly
designed infographic and re-design it using a free online infographic
tool. We are then required to rate and review the online tool used.
Fig. 3.3 Chosen poorly designed infographic
'Issues':
- Gaudy yellow
- Repeating skyline
- Random alignments
- Unpleasant gradients and drop shadows
- Looks like something from early 2000s textbook
- No sense of margins (arrow touching the edge)
- Lewd imagery (designed purposefully to grab attention perhaps lol)
Two layout ideas I had in mind for the infographic.
Fig. 3.5 Re-designing in Canva, Week 1 (6-7/1/2022)
The infographic tool I used was Canva. I maintained the elements used
in the original infographic such as the sun, thermometer and skyline.
I changed the size of the skyline because when it was smaller it
looked a little too 'concentrated' as compared to the rest of the
infographic which had simplistic graphical elements. I also added a
graphic of USA to fit the sentence "Summer heat will continue to
sizzle across the southern USA today and through the weekend."
Through this progression, I tried different thermometer graphics and
to test out which one fitted the information and looks better. I also
got rid of the colour blocking in the middle version because it felt
too much. I added it to the sides instead and changed the corners to
rounded corners to follow the rounded graphical elements - sun and
thermometer.
Fig. 3.6 Re-designed infographic, Week 1 (7/1/2022)
Ms Anis said that the infographic looks clear and straightforward
without unnecessary graphics like the original. However, I could
still add a brighter red at 120° and above to better portray the
drastic temperature.
Fig. 3.7 Final re-designed infographic, Week 2 (13/1/2022)
Rating and review of the online tool (Canva):
Difficulty, intuitiveness: 4.5*
Canva is quite straightforward to use, the layout is simple and easy
to navigate and look for functions. The only thing is the zooming
feature which is a bit annoying since it differs from the controls
of Adobe softwares. I kept pressing alt and middle scroll (Adobe
zoom in/out) instead of ctrl +/- (Canva zoom in/out).
Usefulness: 4*
Provides a decent amount of graphics (non-payable), so there's no
need to look for graphics elsewhere. Canva also allows the function
to upload my own graphics/images which is useful if I can't find a
suitable graphic I need within Canva's selection.
Design templates, choices: 4*
The templates provided have good colour schemes. However, little to
no choices for weather infographics. Other than that, font choices
are good.
FLIP 2: L.A.T.C.H.
Fig. 4.1 L.A.T.C.H. by Group 7 - slides, Week 2 (11/1/2022)
Fig. 4.2 L.A.T.C.H. by Group 7 - video presentation, Week 2
(12/1/2022)
In our groups, we were tasked to research the L.A.T.C.H. theory by Saul Wurman and create a video presentation.
FLIP 3: Miller's Law (Chunking)
FLIP 3 & 4 were assigned to other groups. A list of their informative presentations can be found here.
Fig. 4.3 Miller's Law (Chunking) by Group 5, Week 4 (24/1/2022)
Chunking is when information is organised into groups or 'chunks' allows the brain to recognize and memorize the information easier.
- Understand the subject matter easily and effectively.
- Reduces cognitive load or information overload on learners.
- Helps in retention memory power.
FLIP 4: Manuel Lima's 9 Directives Manifesto
Fig. 4.4 Manuel Lima's 9 Directives Manifesto by Group 2, Week 5 (3/2/2022)
1. Form follows function
- Form doesn't follow data.
- Form follows a purpose, and in the case of information visualization, form follows revelation.
- The purpose should always be centered on explanation and unveiling which in turn leads to discovery and insight.
2. Interactivity is key
- Information visualization is the use of computer-supported, interactive, visual representations of abstract data to amplify cognition.
3. Cite your sources
- Validate authenticity.
- Show credibility and integrity.
- Avoid misconception .
4. The power of narrative
- Storytelling is a powerful way to learn and spread information.
- Convey a message and compelling narrative.
- Easier understanding.
5. Do not glorify aesthetics
- Aesthetics is an important factor, to grab attention, but it should be a consequence and not a main goal.
6. Look for relevancy
- Making things relevant would be easier and convenient for both the designer and creator, as well as the user.
- Higher relevancy increases the possibility of comprehension, assimilation and decision-making.
7. Embrace time
- Time is one of the most difficult variables to map in any system but also one of the riches.
- Time should always be considered when the targeted system is affected by its progression.
8. Aspire for knowledge
- A core ability of information visualization is to translate information into knowledge and redistribute it to others.
- Every project should aim at making knowledge more understandable.
9. Avoid gratuitous visualizations
- Find out the real meaning of something and convey it with appropriate visuals.
- Information visualization needs to act as a an informational filter to provide just enough insight, they should never add more noise to the flow.
PRACTICAL
Week 2: Kinetic Typography
In week 2, our task was to try out kinetic typography with a part from "So What" by P!nk.
Fig. 5.2 Null object practice, Week 2 (13/1/2022)
We were taught how to use a null object to act as a camera in After Effects.
We also learned text animation such as tracking, line spacing, scale, etc.
Fig. 5.2 Final kinetic typography, Week 3 (17/1/2022)
Week 4: Vector Character Animation
Fig. 6.1 Week 4: Character animation, Week 4 (25/1/2022)
For week 4, we practiced vector character animation using Adobe Illustrator (vector) and Adobe After Effects (animation).
Fig. 6.2 Separating the vector layers in Adobe Illustrator, Week 4 (29/1/2022)
We were given an AI file and had to separate the layers (head, torso, arm, etc) in order to be able to animate the characters later on.
FEEDBACK
Week 1 (Quantify Data): Have a larger title for better visual
hierarchy.
Week 2 (Re-designed infographic): Infographic looks clear and straightforward without unnecessary graphics
like the original. To improve it further, add a brighter red at 120° and
above to better portray the drastic temperature.
REFLECTION
Through the flip classes and Ms. Anis's lectures, I learned various ways of arranging information visually. The lessons also reinforced the use of hierarchy and balance in design principles. Doing the L.A.T.C.H. poster was actually a little challenging because location, alphabet, time, category and hierarchy had to be included and organised neatly.
Moreover, I learned more about animation with Mr. Martin's practical classes. Such new things I learned were the null object acting as a camera, chart and graphs animation, text animation and basic puppet control. These were really helpful for our final project animation.


Comments
Post a Comment
be nice