Information Design - Final Project: Animated Infographics

4/1/2022 - 25/2/2022 / Week 1 - Week 8
Lui Hsiao Hui (Tressa) / 0342003
Information Design / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Final Project: Animated Infographics


INSTRUCTIONS




Final Project: Animated Infographics

Group 7 - Chapter 2: Family Planning

1. Roles & task delegation

Fig. 1 Group 7 Roles & Tasks - document, Week 7 (17/2/2022)

Roles and tasks were delegated according to each member's strengths. 


2. Storyboard & Moodboard

Fig. 2.1 Storyboard - slides, Week 5 (2/2/2022)

Storyboard slides were organised by Dorcas

Our group chose Chapter 2: Family Planning for the Sex Ed animation. Our first task was to create a storyboard, planning out each frame as well as transition ideas. Frame planning was done by Dorcas, Imran, Janice and Jia Sheng, while the sketches were done by me and Athirah. Do refer to the task delegation document for more details on who planned which frame.


We also created a Miro board to contribute style ideas for our illustrations. After discussion, we finalised an illustration style and created a moodboard. I then selected the colour palette and shared the AI file with all members so they can create swatches.


Fig. 2.2 Style frames - slides, Week 2-3 (11-18/1/2022)

Style frames slides were organised by Janice

After completing our storyboard sketches and moodboard, we moved on to creating style frames for selected frames that were slightly challenging to do. The challenging parts were mostly the scenes where body parts and reproductive systems were shown. This is because we planned to do a nonhuman character style and Janice also had the idea to make the 'sensitive' scenes cute, sort of censoring those scenes with substitute objects or cute characters. During this stage, we also selected appropriate fonts we wanted to use for our animation and we standardised the outlines to be 4 pt.

Main fonts: Badaboom BB & Komika Axis
Side fonts: Space Grotesk & Dank Mono


3. Script breakdown

Fig. 2.3 Script (mental) breakdown - Google Sheet, Week 1-7 (6/1-13/2/2022)

Next, we planned the timing for each frame. This organisation also allowed us to identify specific parts easier when illustrating and animating.


4. Storyboard animatic

Fig. 2.4 Storyboard animatic, Week 5 (3/2/2022)

We were tasked to make a storyboard animatic using our storyboard sketches. This task was given to me to do. This animatic was kept pretty rough because we knew that we were going to make a lot of changes later anyway.


5. Illustration

Here are the original illustrations done by Janice, Dorcas, Athirah, Imran & Honoka, referring to the storyboard sketches.

As the lead illustrator, my task was to go through everyone's illustrations and revise them. I thought this would be a quick job but of course, it wasn't and it took 3 days. Janice was the 2nd lead illustrator, and she helped with redoing Honoka's frames, much appreciated.

While revising the illustrations, I found common mistakes such as:
• Misalignment of anchor points, overlaid shapes, off-center etc.
• Pen tool curves (overlapping sharp ends).
• Inconsistent shape sizes of symmetrical shapes.

These issues were relatively simple to fix, but the real pain came when I received a few members' frames that were completely deviating from the agreed style and instructions. Was disappointed, since trust was put forth, but oh well. I needed all hands on deck, so Jia Sheng helped with redoing some frames as well.

Redos:
  • Imran - redone because of the execution
  • Honoka - redone by Janice because of the execution
  • Athirah - redone by me and Jia Sheng because of execution and not matching style

Revamps:
  • Dorcas - revamped for more 'oOphm'
  • Honoka - revamped for more 'oOphm'

Refines:
  • Janice - refined (alignment, anchor points etc)
  • Characters (Athirah) - refined because the file was in CMYK thus colours were wrong, shapes and strokes were also wrong (not 4 pt)

Fig. 3.1 Before and after revising, Week 6-7 (10-13/2/2022)

Here are some before and afters. I am very particular when it comes to illustration colour choices so I did make a lot of changes on that besides the illustrations themselves. I also colour coded different frames to differentiate their sections. Besides that, I changed fonts that weren't what we originally planned. Furthermore, I standardised the repeated assets such as hearts, arrows, frames, backgrounds and certain objects (clipboard, pencil, clouds, uterus etc).


Fig. 3.2 Final frames - slides, Week 6-7 (10-13/2/2022)

Final frames slides were organised by me


Fig. 3.3 Final illustrations - PDF, Week 6-7 (10-13/2/2022)



6. Animation

Fig. 4.1 Animation progress, Week 7 (15/2/2022)

Here's my animation progression as of 15/2. At this point, I've yet to animate the texts, as I prefer to get the general transitions and vector movements done first. Note that the pink frames in this animation are not completed, as I was rushing to get it rendered fast for Mr. Martin's viewing.

Unfortunately, Jia Sheng had to take up some of my animation parts because revising the illustrations took a toll on me and I had to help handle the final project for Intercultural Design. Basically, Jia Sheng and I were switching focus - him with Information Design and me with Intercultural Design in order to ensure both our groups in different modules survive.


Fig. 4.2 Final Sex Ed: Family Planning animation, Week 8 (21/2/2022)

The final animation was compiled and edited by Jia Sheng (SFX too). Jia Sheng also took some creative liberties in changing up some parts of the illustration to fit the animation style and transitions.


FEEDBACK

Week 7: Good animations, very psychedelic and stylised, add sound effects.


REFLECTION

This group project was not bad, our group members collaborated and communicated well besides a few errors in the work here and there. I personally didn't have many struggles while doing the project, since I can animate decently and illustrate well. The only thing that stressed me out was the revising of illustrations which caused a slight delay in starting the animation. Along with another final project from Intercultural Design. Altogether, they caused me no sleep and anger issues. Though, I did get to practice my observation skills when it comes to looking for errors such as misalignment, anchor points, colours that differ from our chosen colour palette etc, and try to improve my animation skills. I think the hardest part of getting through this project was definitely having to tie everyone's work together, but other than that, all is well.


Comments