9/2/2022 - 25/2/2022 / Week 6 - Week 8
Lui Hsiao Hui (Tressa) / 0342003
Intercultural Design / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Intercultural Design / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Task 3: Research, Reflect & Final Project
INSTRUCTIONS
Task 3: Research, Reflect & Final Project
1. Task delegation
- Jia Sheng: 3D modelling & printing
- Tressa: Painting, crafting (jeweling, sewing etc) & final photos
- Jodiann: Painting
- Yi Yun: Painting
- Athirah: Painting
- *Qian Tong - making her own Jambiya (unable to join for meet-ups because she went back to Johor)
2. 3D weapons
The first stage was to get the 3D printed weapons of the Jamibya, Keris and
Saintie ready. 3D modelling was done by Jia Sheng using Blender (more of this
process in his blog). Weapons were 3D printed in campus. All photos and
screenshots here are from Jia Sheng.
Fig. 1.1 Jambiya model, Week 6 (7-9/2/2022)
3. Moodboard
Next, Jodiann and I came up with moodboards for each weapon, sourcing
inspiration from fashion design, make-up, drag looks and weapon design. More
about the dragification concept in our final presentation slides below.
Keris moodboard: Jodiann
Jambiya & Saintie moodboard: Me
Fig. 2.1 "Anna Konda" - Keris moodboard, Week 7 (19/2/2022)
Fig. 2.2 "Sugar Plum" - Jambiya moodboard, Week 7 (19/2/2022)
Fig. 2.3 "Bloody Mary" - Saintie moodboard, Week 7 (19/2/2022)
4. Materials
Materials were provided and bought by me (price was split among members). Some
members did also use their own white and black paints and provided extra
paintbrushes. On a side note, I'm really glad of my younger self who hoarded
paints and craft materials, came in very handy for this project.
Fig. 3.2 More ribbons, threads & stolen beads from mom, Week 6
(12/2/2022)
Fig. 3.3 Acrylic paints, matte & gloss varnishes, Week 6 (12/2/2022)
Fig. 3.4 Metallic & glitter acrylic paints, Week 6 (12/2/2022)
5. Painting
Our group went back to campus on 16/2 (Wednesday) and 19/2 (Saturday) to paint
the weapons.
Wednesday - 16/2/2022
Members present: Me, Jodiann and Athirah
Members not present: Yi Yun (quarantine), Jia Sheng (dying from
his booster shot)
Members painting each weapon:
Me: Jambiya
Jodiann: Keris
Athirah: Saintie
Photos taken by me and Jodiann
Fig. 4.1 Before painting, Week 7 (16/2/2022)
Jia Sheng unfortunately was dying from his booster shot so he had to use Grab
delivery to get the 3D printed weapons to us. In the process, the weapons
succumbed to Malaysian heat and got bent inside the Grab delivery
motorbike's storage compartment.
Fig. 4.2 Base coats, Week 7 (16/2/2022)
Left to right: Jodiann, me & Athirah
In our first meet-up, we started with base coats of white acrylic paint so
the lighter colours won't look dull. We also painted some gold details.
During this stage, we developed our design idea for each weapon, discussing
ideas and referencing our moodboard.
Fig. 4.3 Final progress of Wednesday meet-up, Week 7 (16/2/2022)
Fig. 4.4 Painting the details of the Jambiya, Week 7 (18/2/2022)
Before the Saturday meet-up, I painted the details of the Jambiya and the
Saintie so my group members can help copy the patterns and paint them on the
other side. *The painting of the Saintie was not recorded.
I referenced the blade gold details from this Persian Jambiya. For the
Saintie's gold details I didn't bother to follow any reference image, I'd
rather do my own since it's faster and we were battling with time.
I also discussed my direction ideas for each weapon with Jia Sheng,
especially the Saintie. I was contemplating if we should go with another
more feminine look or proceed with my initial idea of an edgy red and black
Saintie. He mentioned that the red and black would be better since the
Jambiya was already pastel, besides, the colours fit how traditionally the
Saintie was used to kill in war.
Saturday - 19/2/2022
Members present: Jia Sheng, Me, Jodiann, Athirah & Yi Yun
Members painting each weapon:
Me & Yi Yun: Jambiya
Jodiann: Keris
Me, Jia Sheng (tried) & Jodiann: Saintie
Photos taken by me, Jodiann and Athirah
Fig. 4.6 Me discussing decorations, Week 7 (19/2/2022)
On this day we also discussed our final slides organisation, as well as
informing absent members about what they missed from the lecture. We
were stressing over the rationale and ensuring people are 'sold' by our
final outcome. Since Jia Sheng was dying painting the Saintie's gold
details, that job was handed to Jodiann and he moved to working on our
final slides, focusing on the brains part of the execution while we
handle the practical side.
Fig. 4.7 Yi Yun painting the back of the Jambiya blade, Week 7 (19/2/2022)
Yi Yun helped copy the pattern I painted on the front of the Jambiya
to the back of the blade.
Fig. 4.8 Jodiann painting the back of the Saintie handle, Week 7 (19/2/2022)
Same as Yi Yun, Jodiann helped to copy the pattern I painted on the
front of the Saintie handle to the back.
Fig. 4.9 Jodiann painting the Keris, Week 7 (19/2/2022)
We also discussed giving each weapon a drag name. Jodiann came up with a
great idea for the Keris name to be "Anna Konda". Very fitting, because
the Keris blade looks like a snake. Some Voldemort jokes were also
thrown around during discussion, it was eventful.
Fig. 4.11 Jodiann's wrath - comic relief, Week 7 (19/2/2022)
Jodiann got too excited and managed to break the Saintie 2 times - first
the head, then the handle not 5 minutes later. Here we got the name idea
of "Red Queen" (because of beheading and it suits the bloodshed theme),
and "3Piece" (like the anime, & because it broke into 3
pieces).
The Saintie was the hardest to come up with names for that felt right.
We knew that we wanted the Saintie to be the 'edgiest' and have the more
violent theme of the 3 weapons. Thus the names we threw around were:
Cruella, Valentino, Raja, Madinah and Red Queen. Still, the names did
not scream 'bathing in blood' vibes. It was only after I went home and
thought about the name "Bloody Mary" and the history of Queen Mary I's
reign which fits the bloodshed theme we were trying to convey with the
Saintie.
Fig. 4.12 Final progress of Saturday meet-up, Week 7 (19/2/2022)
Fig. 4.13 Varnishing - matte & gloss varnish, Week 8 (20/2/2022)
I took the painted weapons home to start my decorating stage. For the
Jambiya, I added extra teal details because it felt too empty. Once the
painting is all done, I applied matte and gloss varnish to the weapons.
Varnish appreciation below.
Fig. 4.14 Varnished Keris, Week 8 (20/2/2022)
Fig. 4.14 Varnished Saintie, Week 8 (20/2/2022)
6. Decorations
For the decorating stage, I put my knowledge of crafting and sewing to
good use. Once again was really grateful towards my younger self who got
into sewing and crafting.
Fig. 5.1 Jeweling, Week 8 (20-22/2/2022)
Cue the struggling with glue and small beads. The fastest to do was the
Jambiya since its form was straightforward with flat surfaces. Jeweling
the Jambiya was quite satisfying and I found myself drawing inspiration
from my memory of the Barbie dolls I had when I was a child.
The Keris took a bit of planning due to its limited space, round hilt
and taking into consideration the outfit placement later. The same goes
for the Saintie. Though the beads and pearls selection for it was quite
simple, since it was round the pearls kept falling/moving out of
place.
The end of the Keris blade felt empty and I thought of using beads to
portray the look of venom dripping down the blade. I was able to sew it to
the end of the blade because there was a gap in between the 2 3D printed
pieces.
Fig. 5.3 Beading, Week 8 (22/2/2022)
Here I made the dangling pearls & beads for the Jambiya and Saintie.
For the Jambiya, I was going for a candy look, while the Saintie I was
trying to emulate blood drops by using red teardrop beads at the ends.
Also the use of gold glass beads was inspired by Cruella's gold chains in
her outfit (see Fig. 5.6 below).
Fig. 5.4 Sewing, Week 8 (22/2/2022)
I used a running stitch to sew the ruffles. The Keris outfit was also sewn
but it was not recorded.
Fig. 5.5 Saintie outfit - draft, Week 8 (22/2/2022)
I wasn't happy with the placement of the dangling beads and the dress for
the Saintie, so I changed the 3rd black mesh layer to extra red ruffles,
similar to Cruella's dress in Fig 5.6.
Final Dragified Weapons
Keris - "Anna Konda"
Fig. 6.1 Anna Konda, Week 8 (22/2/2022)
Fig. 6.2 Anna Konda - details, Week 8 (22/2/2022)
Painted by Jodiann
Styled by me
Photos by me
Fig. 6.3 Anna Konda - design, Week 8 (23/2/2022)
The design of Anna Konda follows the theme of snakes and a green, gold
and black colour scheme that screams royalty and tradition. This snake
theme idea derived from the form of the Keris blade, as well as the hilt
looking like a rattlesnake tail. The idea was also sparked by the
Hogwarts House Slytherin which houses people of determination, ambition,
resourcefulness and has a snake as their mascot. The concept for this
weapon embodies what a "traditional drag queen" would wear. Along with
conveying 'shade' which is represented by the poisonous side of a snake.
The snake also symbolises transformation as they can shed their skin,
and drag is basically transforming one's identity.
A little backstory of the idea: While Jodiann was painting the Keris,
she and I got into a convo about Harry Potter and we found that both of
us were Slytherins. This gave her the idea of a snake theme for the
Keris, and it's very fitting because of the curvy blade. She also came
up with the name "Anna Konda". After that, I tried to deliver that
concept through my styling and also with the help of Harry Potter music.
The Keris is decorated with varying sizes of pearls and beads to emulate
royalty and status, which are themes present in the drag scene. At the
top, there are 2 emerald jewels to form the pattern of scales. With the
snake theme in mind, I had the idea to include a bead at the end acting
as venom dripping down the blade. This symbolises 'shade'. The singular
red teardrop bead on the blade represents blood. The idea was to convey
drag queens' passion in their art, hence the Slytherin saying "they use
any means to achieve their ends". This 'blood' bead on the blade also
signifies how the drag community can be persecuted for what they do.
As for the outfit, I sewed a plain green ribbon with a patterned ribbon
to create layered ruffles. It was then added to the right of the Keris
to balance out the visual weight and act as snakeskin, or rather, a
glamourous snakeskin outfit. A mesh ruffle is added to the top for that
extra glam. As a final touch, I added my snake ring to the blade - the
symbol of transformation and a reference to Slytherin, the Hogwarts
House which sparked this idea.
Jambiya - "Sugar Plum"
Fig. 6.5 Sugar Plum - details, Week 8 (22/2/2022)
Painted by me & Yi Yun
(Yi Yun painted the blade gold details for the back)
Styled by me
Photos by me
The design idea for Sugar Plum was initially sparked by Rococo fashion, as
seen in the Sugar Plum moodboard, though it ended up leaning more towards
ballet. The idea for this weapon was to fully transform something masculine
into something feminine, doll-like and princessy. This is where the
influence of ballet and Barbie doll fashion came into the picture. After
all, what is a drag look without looking like a doll?
The design of Sugar Plum and its name was heavily inspired by Tchaikovsky's
music of the Nutcracker, Swan Lake and Sleeping Beauty. But mostly the
Nutcracker of course because that's where the Sugar Plum Fairy is from.
Below is the music that helped with the making of this weapon.
The Nutcracker:
• Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy
• Waltz of the Flowers
• March
Swan Lake:
• Dance of the Little Swans
• Dance with Goblets
Sleeping Beauty:
• The Spell
I relied more on feeling while painting and styling this weapon. Halfway
through jeweling this Jambiya, it started to remind me of candy so I came up
with the name "Royal Kandy". Though I still went back to the name "Sugar
Plum" because it was the 1st name idea and I think it resonates with me
more.
Saintie - "Bloody Mary"
Painted by me & Athirah (Athirah painted the base colours)
Styled by me
Photos by me
Fig. 6.9 Bloody Mary - design, Week 8 (22/2/2022)
Pretty obvious with the name, this dragified weapon follows the theme of
bloodshed and violence, basically all things cruel. But imagine those themes
turned into a fashion look. The concept follows a drag queen wearing such
fashion look, showing their perpetrators the violence that is inflicted upon
their community. It is sort of a mockery, a jab, a form of protest against
such violence. This symbolism is shown through the top part of the Saintie,
which looks like an arrow. The arrow signifies the drag community shooting
back at their 'enemies'. This could be through 'throwing shade' or by the
fashion look of "Bloody Mary" itself. Moreover, traditionally the Saintie is
used to kill in war, so it's only fitting for it to be called Bloody Mary
and to be dressed in a bloodshed theme. Additionally, the cruellest, coolest
Drag Queens have all fought their battles. This design is to showcase
strength, a beacon of hope for all who need it, a symbol of rebuilding into
a stronger self.
I think the popular examples of such fashion symbolism is Katniss (the
Hunger Games) and her Mockingjay fire dresses, clearly sending the rebellion
message and defying the capitol. Similarly, in Cruella (2021), Cruella uses
fashion not just to express herself, but also to send a message, publicly
embarrassing and overthrowing her rival. The thing is, they don't have to
say anything, the message is already conveyed visually through their
fashion. That was also the idea for the Saintie's concept.
This was the design I struggled with the most due to the form of the
Saintie. It took a while to figure out the dress part because there's only
so much space available for glueing on the Saintie shaft. One thing which I
liked creating about this weapon is the dangling beads and pearls. I really
like how they turned out, and their allusion to blood.
Final Task 3: Research, Reflect & Final Project
Fig. 7.1 Final Dragified Weapons - PDF, Week 8 (23/2/2022)
Fig. 7.2 Final Task 3: Research, Reflect & Final Project - slides, Week
8 (23/2/2022)
Fig. 7.3 Final Task 3: Research, Reflect & Final Project - presentation,
Week 8 (25/2/2022)
FEEDBACK
Week 7
General feedback:
Strong narrative and rationale are just as important for your outcome.
People only appreciate the words instead of the art - ensure they’re both in
sync and justify what you're showing.
Specific feedback: Make sure the outfits don't obscure too much
of the weapon details.
Week 8
Specific feedback:
-
Typesetting: please use left align or allow hyphenation (avoid rivers
at all cost).
-
Islam: I would advise you against bringing it up, why? Because you are
not scholars and most of you don’t live the religion — thus it may
seem a bit too strong to accuse an entire religion. This is my view,
if you disagree you may continue as is. I would suggest under the
slide title “Why?” To just state that "the countries mentioned are all
countries that prescribe the death penalty for homosexuality" that’s
should suffice, no need to go into practices of Islam, the hadith etc
else it might seem more like Islamaphobia. In replacement, you could
state instances of such deaths being meted out (or something else).
You can also mention in cursory that, they are other countries that
are very hostile to homosexuals like Uganda (and more) which
prescribes life in prison but since it does not involve a death
penalty it was not included…
-
Change in content slide, change “working title” to title.
-
Research Objective: “& spread drag culture” hmmm… maybe substitute
the word “spread” to acceptance might require a rewording.
-
We should reword the "Dragification" part to sound more powerful. Tie
in how death penalty = weapon (object that brings death) = toxic
masculinity. Then state how you intend to turn this on its head (so to
speak) with dragification.
- Well done kids.
REFLECTION
Group
The most fun part of this project was definitely the 2nd meet-up painting session where it actually felt like we were doing art instead of working, albeit tired and stressed. Lots of funny moments happened so that was memorable. The majority of members were cooperative, responsive and punctual with the tasks delegated. They also contributed their strengths well such as painting, research and presentation skills.
Though.
With all due respect, I would very much prefer no more group projects, more specifically a semester that isn't fully group project-based (literally killed my social battery and will to live). There are those who carried, and there are those who did not. Of course, being a group project, there are always varying levels of skill, causing a little struggle of delegating tasks that would cater to each member's skills. Unfairness and spoon-feeding are often the strings attached to a group project, I wish it wasn't. We tried our best to compromise, but I'm sure you've noticed one who's often (I'd argue - always) out of the picture. Well, what could we do, we're done dragging them along.
Experience
At the beginning of Task 3, it was very stressful since I was worrying a lot about the final outcome, how it would look like, is it extravagant and provoking enough etc. But it all fell into place once I started painting and just yielded to the feeling when designing. For the decorating stage, I got to feel like the fashion designer my younger self always wanted to be, which was pretty satisfying and fun. Making the final outcome also brought back the knowledge I learned from my fashion elective in foundation, as well as my crafting and sewing years. I definitely preferred this task over the first two and it was a great outlet for me to revive my crafting skills and experience a taste of fashion designing/styling. I am also thankful to my group mates who trusted me with my direction, concepts and styling ideas.
Observations
While decorating the weapons I observed that the design principles apply to physical objects as well. While making the clothing I recalled what I learned from fashion and remembered how the design principles worked in fashion, thus applying them to our final output. For example, equal visual weight is important, as shown with the keris. The handle is bent to the left, hence to balance it out, I added the clothing on the right. Moreover, varying texture enhances a garment and has the ability to change the entire look altogether. As such I layered ruffles and have varying lengths and layers of dangling beads for the Saintie.
Findings
Through one of Mr. Vinod's lecture about selling our art/design, I learned that having a strong rationale convinces people more than the artwork itself. I hate that it's how it works but it's true in real life. It really got me thinking about improving my rationales in future works, to ensure a solid output. This entire project also led me to discover how cultures intertwine and how we can make connections between cultures that seem like they've got nothing to do with each other when in reality they do.
As always, exemplary documentation. Kudos to the crew. I wish all of you the best.
ReplyDelete