Character Design - Task 2: Character Design Development

28/4/2022 - 9/6/2022 / Week 5 - Week 11
Lui Hsiao Hui (Tressa) / 0342003
Character Design / Entertainment Design
Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Task 2: Character Design Development


EXERCISES

Fig. 1 Quick poses exercise, Week 5 (28/4/2022)

In week 5, we were introduced to quickposes.com where we can practice sketching poses under set times (1 minute per pose etc). We did this exercise in class and it was challenging. From this exercise, I found that the way I draw poses/figures is very angular. I was advised to loosen up when drawing because my sketches have harsh strokes and lack the 'flowy' rhythm.


INSTRUCTIONS




Task 2: Character Design Development

Character Expressions

Fig. 2.1 Expressions, Week 6-8 (4-21/5/2022)

We began task 2 by sketching character poses and drawing 15 expressions for our character. For the expressions, I referred to emojis to help me decide which expressions I wanted to draw. I then looked at expression references to execute the specific expressions for my character.


Character Poses

Fig. 2.2 Pose sketches, Week 6 (2/5/2022)


Fig. 2.3 5 pose and outfit sketches, Week 6 (2/5/2022)

I decided to combine the exploration of poses and outfits together to save time during this hectic semester. From the 10 pose sketches, I selected 5 that suited my character the best. Then I sketched 5 outfits based on the outfit sketches from task 1.


Character Outfits

In week 7, we were briefed about designing character outfits. We were instructed to 'talk to our character', to identify what they like, what suits them etc. We were also encouraged to explore 'mod' outfits, meaning outfits the character would be wearing according to the mod. For example, Ms. Anis suggested that I could explore punk fashion for my character, basically saying we could explore something that's quite different from how our character would dress. We also had to take note of how different outfits would suit the narrative or change it.

Based on the sketches from task 1, I made moodboards for each of them to help further develop my design. I sourced clothing from historical periods (Renaissance, Baroque and Rococo) along with modern takes on historical fashion. This part was really fun because I enjoy fashion.


Outfit #1: Red's Court
Fig. 3.1 Outfit #1 moodboard, Week 6 (5/5/2022)


Fig. 3.2 Outfit #1 progression, Week 7-9 (12-24/5/2022)


Fig. 3.3 "Red's Court" - Outfit #1, Week 9 (24/5/2022)

This first outfit is based on Ruby's main outfit design in task 1. A court skirt is added to suit court fashion, and it can be removed to increase ease of mobility.


Symbolism
  • Pigtail braids: Youth
  • Heart motifs: The Red Queen
  • Mismatched stockings: Youth and quirky style
  • Skirt: Non-conformity in court fashion because her legs are shown
  • Edgy corset: Foreshadowing of status change


Fig. 3.4 Outfit #1 colour variations, Week 9 (24/5/2022)


Outfit #2: Of Assistance
Fig. 3.5 Outfit #2 moodboard, Week 6 (5/5/2022)


Fig. 3.6 Outfit #2 progression, Week 6-8 (6-18/5/2022)

For outfit #2 I was a bit torn on which pose to go with. Pose #1 does highlight the outfit, though I pose #2 felt more natural and less like she's posing.


Fig. 3.7 "Of Assistance" - Outfit #2, Week 8 (18/5/2022)

This outfit is the most 'edgiest' out of the lineup. I imagined that Ruby would want to look cool and powerful while travelling with the Red Queen, hence I designed a more masculine outfit for her travelling wear. It has the traditional large puff sleeves, a high collar and shoulder plate details resembling armour. The purpose of these is to portray status and power. Her hair is also in a heart updo, unlike her usual hair-down hairstyles. This signifies restriction and putting up a front.


Fig. 3.8 Outfit #2 colour variations, Week 8 (18/5/2022)


Outfit #3: All Hearts
Fig. 3.9 Outfit #3 moodboard, Week 6 (5/5/2022)


Fig. 3.10 Outfit #3 progression, Week 6 (2-6/5/2022)


Fig. 3.11 "All Hearts" - Outfit #3, Week 6 (6/5/2022)

This outfit screams funky yet youthful. I think this is the most 'Ruby fit' because it really matches her personality and style. It matches the weirdness of Wonderland, however, deviates from the traditional fashion styles of the Red Queen's court.

Symbolism
  • Heart pannier: Quirky shape, signifies youth and playfulness (Ruby’s fashion style)
  • Heart motifs: The Red Queen
  • Mesh hoop skirt: Restriction


Fig. 3.12 Outfit #3 colour variations, Week 7 (10/5/2022)


Outfit #4: Not a Pawn, a Queen
Fig. 3.13 Outfit #4 moodboard, Week 7 (5/5/2022)


Fig. 3.14 Outfit #4 progression, Week 7 (7-10/5/2022)

I wracked my brain a lot for this design. I was trying to bring out the essence of a chess piece in the overall shape of the clothing, hence the puffy layers in the 3rd sketch. Due to mobility and functionality, I decided it was better to keep it as a simple long skirt train, that way it allows the puffed skirt at the hips to be accentuated.


Fig. 3.15 "Not a Pawn, a Queen" - Outfit #4, Week 7 (12/5/2022)

I really love the heart corset top paired with the tube top for this outfit, the combo is just stunning and the contrast in texture is appealing. However, this design is more of a modern style of clothing, not following the traditional shapes of big Renaissance dresses.

Function
  • Removable puff skirt and skirt train (both are separate)
  • Long ribbon to strangle enemies (if needed)

Symbolism
  • Shape of entire look: Resembles the shape of a chess piece, alluding to Ruby being the Red Queen’s pawn
  • Heart motifs: The Red Queen
  • Edgy corset and ruffle collar: Switch in power and status
  • Princessy puff sleeve top: Ruby’s true personality 


Fig. 3.16 Outfit #4 colour variations, Week 7 (12/5/2022)


Outfit #5: In Marmoreal
Fig. 3.17 Outfit #5 moodboard, Week 6 (5/5/2022)

The last outfit is completely different from the others. I decided to design a White Queen inspired outfit, with the narrative being that she works for the White Queen after the end of the Red Queen's rule.

*Marmoreal is the name of the White Queen's place.


Fig. 3.18 Outfit #5 progression, Week 6-8 (5-16/5/2022)


Fig. 3.19 "In Marmoreal" - Outfit #5, Week 8 (16/5/2022)

To keep the 'Ruby flare', I decided upon a short skirt instead of a dress, because from the lineup she always has the priority to have room for her legs.

Symbolism
• Shape of entire look: Influence from traditional Rococo fashion (the White Queen’s fashion)
• No more heart motifs as the Red Queen has been banished, but still retains the red colour to match her name ‘Ruby’
• Lacks a ‘dress’ because Ruby’s signature style is shorter skirts, it also signifies her ‘non-conformity’ to tradition


Fig. 3.20 Outfit #5 colour variations, Week 8 (16/5/2022)

Pink is Ruby's favourite colour, with red being the second. I'd like to think that even after transitioning to work for the White Queen, she'd have those colours in her new outfits. I also introduced an additional periwinkle blue which matches the pink and overall pastel look.


Final Outfits
Fig. 4.1 Final outfits - flat fill, Week 9 (24/5/2022)


Fig. 4.2 Final outfits - coloured, Week 9 (24/5/2022)

The final outfit lineup, this fuels my fashion dreams.


Prop Design

Prosthetic Left Forearm
Fig. 4.3 Prosthetic colour variations, Week 9 (28/5/2022)


Fig. 4.4 Prosthetic - final design, Week 9 (28/5/2022)

Since my character's clothing is the focal point, I didn't want a prop that would be too bulky or distracting so I came up with the prosthetic idea. It also fits the character's storyline and current place of residence. I imagine that Ruby would store her sewing tools in her prosthetic such as scissors, buttons, needles, threads and the Bandersnatch's eyeball.


Character Turnaround

Fig. 5.1 Main outfit turnaround, Week 11 (9/6/2022)


Fig. 5.2 Alternate outfit turnaround, Week 11 (9/6/2022)

They look a bit different from all angles welp.


Final PDF

Fig. 5.3 Final Task 2: Character Design Development, Week 11 (9/6/2022)


FEEDBACKS

Week 5: Relax while drawing because your lines are quite stiff, let loose and create a little more freeform.

Week 6: Very good idea of using emojis, great progression, proceed with exploring and developing the clothing.

Week 9: Suggestion to do outfit #5 for the transformation turnaround because it shows more exploration and variation from the red and edgy outfits. Outfit #5 also has a unique shape and has feminine textures (ruffle top) contrasting the rest.


REFLECTION

This character design process was by far the most fun to do although tiring to constantly draw, especially from different perspectives. It still took me a while to correct the proportions with the help of many references. I had a ton of fun exploring different costume designs based on different scenarios for my character, it also felt like I was living my fashion design dreams. Though towards the end of this task the workload from other modules took over, so I was burned out on trying to perfect the turnaround and prop design. I'm a little disappointed with the quality of those artworks but oh well.


Comments