Character Design - Task 3 & 4: Execution and Character Bible

14/6/2022 - 7/7/2022 / Week 12 - Week 15
Lui Hsiao Hui (Tressa) / 0342003
Character Design / Entertainment Design
Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Task 3: Character Design Executions
Task 4: Character Boards Compilation


INSTRUCTIONS



Task 3: Character Design Executions

For Task 3, we are to create a final splash art for our character with a final pose that suits the character's personality and design.


Hero Pose

Fig. 1.1 Character pose - flat colour, Week 15 (5/7/2022)

I chose to do the main outfit for my character's splash art. While designing the 5 outfits I had already explored the different poses which suited my character. Out of the 5 poses I still gravitated towards this one because it suits the outfit and matches the character's silhouette when the dress is detached.


Fig. 1.2 Character pose - splash art, Week 15 (5/7/2022)

For the colouring, I did a mixture of harsh-edged shadows with blended shading to create extra depth. The shading was layered with different blending modes. Besides that, I changed the lineart colour for each element, so it would match its base colour instead of having the lineart be just one colour. Lastly, I added some shine to the gold details.


Fig. 1.3 Character pose - card splash art, Week 15 (5/7/2022)

I decided to make my character poster look like a card because it suited the Alice in Wonderland universe.


Fig. 1.4 Final character render - coloured, Week 15 (5/7/2022)

For the character sculpt I decided to sculpt the main outfit without the dress due to time constraints. But then again this outfit is what she'll be wearing the majority of the time, only when in court does she puts on the detachable dress. Some details are different from the original character artwork such as the right sleeve, right thigh-high sock and hair ribbons, which is also due to time constraints.


Task 4: Character Boards Compilation

As our final task, we are to compile all processes into a comprehensive character bible (3 to 5 slides).

Fig. 2 Character Boards - PDF, Week 15 (5/7/2022)


REFLECTION

I had a lot of fun learning Character Design. Going through the process of designing a character was very insightful and it was fun to explore different variations of a character. Such as the change in narrative and setting which made it interesting to design different outfits for my character in Task 2. I only wished that I could've done more exploration towards the end of this module, but many assignments got in the way. Overall, it was very enjoyable and I'm definitely implementing these character designing processes in my future works.


Comments