Lui Hsiao Hui (Tressa) / 0342003
Vehicle and Props Design / Entertainment Design
Vehicle and Props Design / Entertainment Design
Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Project 1: Pre Production
Project 2: Production
Project 3: Post Production & Profiling
INSTRUCTIONS
Project 1: Pre Production
Concept
When this project was first introduced, I had the idea to create an organic
patterned vehicle, with the concept of futurism. While browsing for
inspiration, I remembered the cool designs I saw from the sci-fi movies Alien,
Independence Day and Thor: Ragnarok, and decided that I wanted to create a
vehicle of that genre. In the end, I chose the Alien universe because it is
the closest to the style of vehicle I'd want to explore. I think the concept
art of Alien is also very iconic and unique, especially with the skeletons
incorporated into the designs of that universe.
Moodboard
Because the Xenomorphs in the Alien franchise don't really require cars/any
land vehicles, I decided to base the vehicles on different species featured in
the films - humans, Xenomorphs and Engineers.
Fig. 1.1 Land vehicle moodboard, Week 7 (12/5/2022)
Fig. 1.2 Air vehicle moodboard, Week 7 (12/5/2022)
Fig. 1.3 Sea vehicle moodboard, Week 7 (12/5/2022)
Before designing the vehicles, I did some subject matter studies along with
material studies which are included in the final PDF below.
Land Vehicle
Fig. 2.1 Rover sketches, Week 7 (12/5/2022)
I struggled a lot coming up with ideas for the land vehicle, I didn't like the
monotony of drawing geometric forms.
Fig. 2.2 Rover sketch refinement #1, Week 9 (26/5/2022)
This was the variation I chose to develop. Another sketch variation is
included in the final PDF below.
Fig. 2.3 Rover silhouette and colour value, Week 9 (26/5/2022)
Fig. 2.4 Rover colour variations, Week 9 (26/5/2022)
Fig. 2.5 Final rover design, Week 9 (26/5/2022)
I know the scale looks weird lol.
Air Vehicle
Fig. 3.1 Xenomorph mothership sketches, Week 3 (4/5/2022)
For the Xenomorph mothership, I referenced a Xenomorph head. I decided to not
use the original franchise's Queen Mother head because I wanted to keep the
iconic silhouette of a 'normal' Xenomorph.
Fig. 3.3 Xenomorph mothership sketch variations, Week 9 (26/5/2022)
From the base sketch, I added more details referencing Xenomorph anatomy -
dorsal spines, bones and biomechanical tubing details.
Fig. 3.4 Xenomorph mothership finalisation, Week 10 (2/6/2022)
Mr. Kannan suggested combining some elements of designs #4 and #5 together.
Fig. 3.5 Xenomorph mothership silhouette and colour value, Week 10 (2/6/2022)
Fig. 3.6 Xenomorph mothership colour variations, Week 10 (2/6/2022)
Fig. 3.7 Xenomorph mothership final design, Week 10 (2/6/2022)
Sea Vehicle
Fig. 4.1 Engineer ship sketches, Week 7 (12/5/2022)
Fig. 4.2 Engineer ship sketch #1, Week 9 (25/5/2022)
Fig. 4.3 Engineer ship #1 colour variations, Week 9 (25/5/2022)
I initially wanted to develop this as my final for the sea vehicle because
I really liked the weird shape, but Mr. Kannan mentioned that its
functions are unclear because of its form. I was advised to explore sketch
#2 instead.
Fig. 4.3 Engineer ship sketch #2, Week 10 (2/6/2022)
Sketch #2 is a flipped version of sketch #1. Mr. Kannan said that its form
makes much more sense for its functionality.
Fig. 4.4 Engineer ship silhouette and colour value, Week 10 (2/6/2022)
Fig. 4.5 Engineer ship colour variations, Week 10 (2/6/2022)
Fig. 4.6 Engineer ship final design, Week 10 (2/6/2022)
Final Project 1: Pre Production
Fig. 4.7 Final Project 1: Pre Production - PDF, Week 10 (3/6/2022)
Project 2: Production
Fig. 5.1 Xenomorph mothership - design refinement, Week 12 (18/6/2022)
I chose to further develop the Xenomorph mothership for Projects 2 and 3. Based on feedback, I added more details and revised the design of the head of the ship.
Fig. 5.2 Xenomorph mothership - front and back, Week 15 (8/7/2022)
For the turnaround, I was initially going to do a 3D sculpt, but due to time constraints, I opted to draw them instead.
Fig. 5.3 Xenomorph mothership - 3⁄4 front and sides, Week 15 (7/7/2022)
Fig. 5.4 Xenomorph mothership - close-ups, Week 12 (18/6/2022)
We were also instructed to do close-ups on smaller parts of the vehicle
Fig. 5.5 Xenomorph mothership - final design, Week 12 (18/6/2022)
I also revised the colouring by reducing the harsh shadows unlike the first attempt in Project 1.
Next, we were to design one interior of our vehicle. I decided to sketch out the interior for communications, drawing inspiration from the Juggernaut interior design from the movie Prometheus. The key elements observed are the symmetry and dome structures, hence they are implemented into my sketch.
Fig. 5.7 Communications - interior refinement, Week 12 (17/6/2022)
Fig. 5.8 Communications - colour value, Week 12 (17/6/2022)
Fig. 5.9 Communications - final design, Week 12 (17/6/2022)
Fig. 5.10 Control panel - lineart, Week 15 (7/7/2022)
Based on feedback, it was suggested to base the prop design on the interior. I decided upon a control panel that would be located on the rounded tables. Its design derives from the form of the table and is reminiscent of a laptop.
Fig. 5.11 Control panel - colour value, Week 15 (7/7/2022)
Fig. 5.12 Control panel - final design, Week 15 (7/7/2022)
Final Project 2: Production
Fig. 5.13 Final Project 2: Production - PDF, Week 15 (8/7/2022)
Project 3: Post Production & Profiling
Fig. 6.1 "Queen Mother" - final vehicle artwork, Week 15 (8/7/2022)
Fig. 6.2 Final Project 3: Post Production & Profiling - PDF, Week 15 (8/7/2022)
FEEDBACKS
Week 5: Do subject matter studies (perspective) - air, land and sea
vehicles + insects/the subject you're going to morph the vehicle with. Sketch
in mannequin-style - the structure of the spaceship.
Week 6: Identify the functions, colour the silhouettes in, and do
different perspectives for the chosen vehicle.
Week 7:
Land vehicle: Reevaluate the perspectives of the wheels - are they too
close and will cause friction.
Air vehicle: The alien ship is not looking like a mothership just yet,
reevaluate the structures.
Sea vehicles: Interesting forms.
Week 9: Identify strengths and weaknesses for each vehicle - obstacles
- can it traverse water etc.
Land vehicle: Extend the back as it looks short, does not match the
capacity stated.
Air vehicle: Add more details to the front because it's the focal
point. Think about the overview - what is the symbol of the mothership. Add
more contrast to the colour value to trick viewers to pay attention to certain
details.
Sea vehicle: Work on exploring sketch #2 for the sea vehicle as sketch
#1's functions are not clear.
Week 10: Explore concave and extrusion in the refinement process
(Project 2), explore 'stickers' (details).
Air vehicle: Make the light thinner.
Sea vehicle: Create an identity for the sea vehicle (stickers/uniform).
REFLECTION
In the beginning, I was struggling with sketching the land and sea vehicles
because I already had the idea to focus on designing an alien spaceship. Most
of all it was very annoying to think and rip apart the sea vehicle design
based on realism and believability especially when the universe doesn't reveal
much about the specific materials and functions of the vehicles when it comes
to the Engineers. This project was quite challenging because we had to focus
on 3 different vehicles instead of developing one. I got pretty demotivated
and lost the interest I had at the start, it didn't help that there was
suddenly a ton of work to rush as well. Regardless, I learned the basic steps
of designing a vehicle - most importantly to always ensure to design based on
functionality.

















Comments
Post a Comment
be nice