7/9/2022 - 3/12/2022 / Week 2 - Week 14
Lui Hsiao Hui (Tressa) / 0342003
Digital Matte Painting / Entertainment Design
Digital Matte Painting / Entertainment Design
Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Exercise: Sky Replacement
Project 1: Virtual Plein Air
Project 2: Invisible Set Extension
Project 3: Thematic Matte Painting (VFX)
INSTRUCTIONS
Exercise: Sky Replacement
Fig. 1.1 Exercise: Sky Replacement - PDF, Week 3-7 (17/9-12/10/2022)
With the sky replacement exercise, we got to practice editing lighting along
with beginner photo bashing using Adobe Photoshop. I enjoyed doing this
exercise a lot, it was fun to experiment with different lighting and colours
to create different atmospheres.
Fig. 1.2 Exercises - PDF, Week 3 (17/9/2022)
Project 1: Virtual Plein Air
Project 1: Virtual Plein Air requires us to digitally paint a chosen landscape realistically, to
prepare us for our future projects on photo bashing and to train our
ability in realism art. This project was quite fun to do because I didn't really have to think at
all but just observe and paint.
We were tasked to select 3 images of different locations to do colour
blockouts without colour picking before choosing one to do for our final
piece. The images were sourced from Google. I decided to choose the ice
landscape because I'd like to paint the ice textures, I thought it would be
fun. The brushes I used were charcoal pencil, hard edge pressure and smudge
tool.
Fig. 2.1 Final Virtual Plein Air, Week 3-7 (14/9-12/10/2022)
Fig. 2.2 Painting and image comparison
Fig. 2.3 Project 1: Virtual Plein Air - PDF, Week 7 (12/10/2022)
Project 2: Invisible Set Extension
Fig. 3.1 The Hobbit, Week 10 (31/10/2022)
In project 2, we start to explore creating mattes. Our task was to choose or
create a new environment set for an existing movie. I chose the Hobbit film
trilogy.
Fig. 3.2 Aegnor - moodboard and references, Week 10 (2/11/2022)
Fig. 3.3 Aegnor - progression, Week 10-13 (2-23/11/2022)
Fig. 3.4 Aegnor, Week 13 (23/11/2022)
Fig. 3.5 Kheldore - assets, Week 10-13 (2-23/11/2022)
Fig. 3.6 Kheldore - progression, Week 10-13 (2-23/11/2022)
Fig. 3.7 Kheldore, Week 13 (23/11/2022)
Fig. 3.8 Project 2: Invisible Set Extension - PDF, Week 13 (23/11/2022)
Project 3: Thematic Matte Painting (VFX)
Fig. 4 Kheldore - Thematic Matte Painting (VFX), Week 14 (3/12/2022)
THIS 15 SECONDS VIDEO TOOK 4 HOURS TO RENDER AAAAAAAAAA
Music: Final Waltz by Suprhot feat. 2WEI
For Project 3, we were to pick one final invisible set extension to edit VFX in Adobe After Effects. I picked Kheldore because I liked the colours and the overall atmosphere better than Aegnor. I also had more moveable elements to work with.
FEEDBACKS
Exercise: Sky Replacement
Week 6:
Day: More blueish, lessen the red tint.
Sunset: Reduce the light streak. When it's too sharp, it'll look fake.
Sunset: Reduce vibrance.
Mars: Colours like this are too much, looks like a filter.
Starry night: Add a slight purplish tint on the rocks.
Aurora: Bluer tint on the greens.
Project 1: Virtual Plein Air
Week 6: Reduce the darkness of the sky and some ice. Add a purple hue
and light bounce.
Project 2: Invisible Set Extension
Week 10:
Aegnor might be a bit cluttered, might want to add a pathway and push the head
to the side a bit more.
Driftwood is too close to the camera, should be further, refine sketches.
Go with sketches 1, 3 & 5. Think of where you'll want to place your
character.
Week 11:
Aegnor: Make the statue smaller to make the building stand out.
Kheldore: Be mindful of scale and add more structure for the castle attached
to the mountain.
Galaheim: Bring the structure further away because it's too close. When it's
too close there's no point of it being a matte, it'll also force you to add
more detail as it's closer to the viewers.
Week 12:
Aegnor: More atmospheric effects to create better depth because the similar
colours and tones make everything blend together.
Kheldore is more clear and the colours make it more interesting to look at.
You may go with either of these 2 for your final VFX.
REFLECTION
Digital Matte Painting was quite fun to do because it required less painting
and drawing compared to other modules, it's almost like a small break from all the drawing-oriented modules. I enjoyed painting the realistic
Virtual Plein Air the most, it was very straightforward and I got to relax
while painting it. Because I enjoy photography, it was really fun to edit the
sky replacements as well. I did find it challenging at times when it came to
compositing the mattes. I specifically struggled with the 3rd matte for the invisible set extension, I definitely have to study cave and rock formations more to be able to improve that composition.










Comments
Post a Comment
be nice