7/9/2022 - 6/12/2022 / Week 2 - Week 15
Lui Hsiao Hui (Tressa) / 0342003
Game Art / Entertainment Design
Game Art / Entertainment Design
Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Exercise: World Creation
Project 1: Character Development
Project 2: Character Sheet
Project 3: Art Bible
INSTRUCTIONS
Exercise: World Creation
For our Game Art project, we were tasked to select a game to alter the art
direction or aesthetics. I chose one of my favourite games, Little
Nightmares II. With our exercise, we are to study the art of our chosen game
as well as its narrative. From there we are to propose our new narrative and
art direction for the game with moodboards of the environment and
characters.
Fig. 1 Exercise: World Creation, Week 4 (20/9/2022)
Project 1: Character Development
Sketches
My character sketches are based on the character design style of Little
Nightmares - big heads and small bodies, with a hint of creepiness and
exaggerated shapes.
Fig. 2.1 Solus - sketches, Week 3 (20/9/2022)
Solus's shape is rectangular because I want him to have a sense of 'main
character' stability. I struggled with his design a bit because he looked
too simple for the main character, and I wasn't sure how to make the concept
of a runaway schoolboy more interesting.
Fig. 2.2 Yasha - sketches, Week 3 (20/9/2022)
For Yasha, I created four renditions of outfits playing with character
shapes and silhouettes, while maintaining the triangles in her character
design because she's the kitsune's minion. I also included symbols such as
the signal on her headpiece in design #2 and the eyes which are a direct
reference to the Little Nightmares franchise.
Fig. 2.3 Sunako - sketches, Week 3 (20/9/2022)
Sunako is heavily inspired by the Lady in Little Nightmares. I wanted her to
look wispy and sleek. To suit the Nogitsune in Japanese folklore, her outfit
is a kimono. Her hair is shaped to resemble fox ears, and she has fox tails
as limbs. I also planned to have her face be a fox skull.
Fig. 2.4 Character scale, Week 4 (25/9/2022)
The character scale follows the same ones in Little Nightmares - the
villains are larger than the children.
Fig. 2.5 Solus - turnaround sketch, Week 4 (25/9/2022)
Fig. 2.6 Yasha - turnaround sketch, Week 4 (25/9/2022)
Fig. 2.7 Sunako - turnaround sketch, Week 4 (25/9/2022)
We were also instructed to sketch a turnaround for our characters, to see if
the design works in other views. For this, I did rough sketches (Fig.
2.5-2.7) to get an idea of how the character would look in 3D form.
Colour
Fig. 2.8 & 2.9 Feedback on Week 5 character progression, Week 6
(4/10/2022)
I was behind on the week 5 workload, so I was only able to do some
development with Yasha and Solus. I was instructed to have more design
explorations and control the values to ensure focal points on the
character's faces.
The way I coloured my characters is by layering different blending modes
to achieve a more dynamic look. It also helps to improve the colour values
much quicker than if I were to manually paint it.
Fig. 2.10 Solus - colour variations, Week 6 (6/10/2022)
Fig. 2.11 Solus - colour value, Week 6 (6/10/2022)
For Solus, I prefer the first variation because of the difference in the
vest colour compared to the hat and socks. I think it breaks the
static-ness. I also plan to explore other hats when it comes to Solus's
other character skins.
Fig. 2.12 Yasha - colour variations, Week 6 (7/10/2022)
Fig. 2.13 Yasha - colour value, Week 6 (7/10/2022)
I decided to switch back to the 3rd sketch design for Yasha. As the feedback
given was to simplify the character designs because small details will not
show up in-game and is hard to animate.
Fig. 2.14 Sunako - colour variations, Week 6 (8/10/2022)
Fig. 2.15 Sunako - colour value, Week 6 (8/10/2022)
Expression & Poses
Fig. 2.16 Solus - expressions, Week 8 (21/10/2022)
Fig. 2.17 Solus - poses sketches, Week 8 (16/10/2022)
Fig. 2.18 Yasha - poses sketches, Week 8 (16/10/2022)
Fig. 2.19 Sunako - poses sketches, Week 8 (20/10/2022)
Finalisation
Fig. 2.20 Final poses - lineart and colour value, Week 8 (21/10/2022)
Fig. 2.21 Solus - final pose, Week 10 (2/11/2022)
Fig. 2.22 Yasha - final pose, Week 10 (2/11/2022)
Fig. 2.23 Sunako - final pose, Week 10 (2/11/2022)
Fig. 2.24 Project 1: Character Development - PDF, Week 10 (2/11/2022)
Project 2: Character Sheet
Skins
Fig. 3.1 Solus - skins, Week 7 (11/10/2022)
For the main character's skins, I decided to approach it in the way of
different concepts. I came up with "The Carnival" and "Soulless" concepts. I
also had the idea of doing a kitsune skin concept but due to time
restrictions, I had to move on.
Fig. 3.4 Solus - turnaround, Week 11 (10/11/2022)
Fig. 3.5 Yasha - turnaround, Week 11 (11/11/2022)
Fig. 3.6 Sunako - turnaround, Week 12 (17/10/2022)
Fig. 3.7 Project 2: Character Sheet, Week 12 (18/11/2022)
Project 3: Art Bible
Fig. 4.1 Solus - splash art, Week 15 (5/12/2022)
Fig. 4.2 Yasha - splash art, Week 15 (6/12/2022)
Fig. 4.3 Yasha - splash art, Week 15 (6/12/2022)
Fig. 4.4 Project 3: Art Bible, Week 15 (6/12/2022)
FEEDBACKS
Exercise: World Creation
Week 2: Identify what can be done and what can't be done for the
character design. Know the camera angles specific to the game.
Week 3: Pick a location to set the carnival on. How do you add
the culture to the props? Extract the colour scheme from your
moodboard.
Project 1: Character Development
Week 4: Draw ¾ views for character sketches to see the balance of
the characters - does it work from every angle.
Week 5:
Solus: Make Solus more interesting - different shoes, patches. Add a
prop to the characters.
Yasha: The clothing looks a bit too cluttered. It needs more
balance and some clothing details might have to be reduced and simplified.
Make the size of the frills bigger.
Sunako: Widen her silhouette because she looks quite squashed. Can
also have her a bit hunched or add a more s-curve. Look like foxy gestures
and traits. Simplify the chains.
Week 6:
Solus: Bigger feet for better balance because it's currently
top-heavy, change hat styles, bigger patches, different shirt types (more
design exploration).
Yasha: Brighter at the top, to create better focus (adjust colour
value).
Week 9: How do the characters play (gestures are they going to shoot
something, are they going to lose something or unlock something)
Week 10: Add props to get an idea of how the characters interact with them, then explore them further in project 2.
Project 2: Character Sheet
Week 11: May want to break up the repetition, try overlapping the wrap
of the katana. Try off-setting the wrap detail for more dynamic. You
could try exploring other props for Solus such as a bag.
Week 13:
Props: Too much dirt on the bag, reduce them. Have Solus hold
the katana instead of a torch.
Sunako: Add folds to the clothing.
Week 11: May want to break up the repetition, try overlapping the wrap
of the katana. Try off-setting the wrap detail for more dynamic. You
could try exploring other props for Solus such as a bag.
Week 13:
Props: Too much dirt on the bag, reduce them. Have Solus hold
the katana instead of a torch.
Sunako: Add folds to the clothing.
REFLECTION
It was quite a challenge to create 3 different characters at once because I
have to constantly switch moods and re-evaluate the vibes the character is
giving as they have different archetypes. I also learned about game art rendering
constraints - detailed-based characters
are not ideal for games as those details can get lost in the rendering and gameplay itself. With Game Art, I learned to design characters with a different mindset, as I tend to like doing detail-oriented characters.






























Comments
Post a Comment
be nice