UX Design - Final Project: Wayfinding Design

27/4/2023 - 24/6/2023 / Week 4 - Week 12
Lui Hsiao Hui (Tressa) / 0342003
UX Design / Design Extension
Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Final Project: Wayfinding Design


INSTRUCTIONS



Research

Interviews

Fig. 1.1 Interviews, Week 4 (27/4/2023)

Name: Manfred

Age: 21

Do you know about Vortex Lab and what it is?
I know about Vortex Lab but I don't know what it's about or for, I just know what it can do. I know you can play Minecraft on VR and I also know they have very expensive equipment and the fact that everyone can sit on a gaming chair and that every camera has a lens that I want.

Are you a student or visitor?
Student visitor (non-Taylorian).

Do you have any difficulties finding your way to Vortex Lab?
No, because my best friend is a club member there. But I did get lost once when trying to get to my best friend in Vortex, cuz the corridor looks similar on the other end, so I thought the facility was removed.

How could we help people find their way to Vortex Lab?
Add more signs and make Vortex create another advertisement about their whereabouts/location.


Segment Matrix

Fig. 1.2 Segment Matrix, Week 6 (11/5/2023)


Fig. 1.3 Segment Matrix - Manfred, Week 6 (11/5/2023)


Client Interview

Before going into the design process, we interviewed Mr Faisal, a lecturer and XR specialist, to find out what he was looking for in a wayfinding design for Vortex. 


Interview Questions & Answers
Background
Graduated from Creative Multimedia.

1. What is your role at Vortex XR Lab?
XR specialist, XR development, lead operations management, training. A lot of things.

2. Could you share your experience with UX wayfinding design?
Never had an official class, only joined a talk on UX AV testing. I do a lot of design & development.

3. What do you work on in Vortex XR Lab? (projects, etc)
SABD - we worked on creating an application for the holo lens, to be utilised by the lecturers and students to add on to the database, expanding information for construction of Taylor's.


Project Goals
4. What do you hope will be achieved with the UX wayfinding design in Vortex XR Lab?
Not sure what you're trying to achieve in the first place, who's trying to wayfind where.

5. What are your priorities and concerns?
I want them to know exactly where we are. No preference of multiple route ways. Make it easy for them.

6. Where do new visitors usually come from (main entrance or carpark)?
New visitors comes mainly from carpark and main entrance. (VIP guests have VIP parking)


User Needs
7. Do you prefer analog or digital wayfinding?
Analog - oldschools & digital - tech savvy, shows that we are incorporating technology. AR finding method.

8. Requirement for students to do analog or digital only or both.
If possible do both. Because the digital can't live without the analog. I want it to build on top of existing analog, enhancing information. As long as it gets the job done with minimal help.


Project Scope
9. What are the boundaries and limitations of this wayfinding project?
Have a clear plan of the what you want the user to experience, do you want them to find via their phone or signages, or lines on the floor.


Design
10. What style or theme would work best for Vortex XR Lab?
Clean, simple. Our existing logo is full of lines and its very noisy. It doesn't work on a lot of places especially digital (scaling). Simplified logo. Basic shapes, something like Google Chrome, Instagram and Twitter. Text to accompany the logo as well. We want to convey to others that we are teaching and learning aspects of XR development. Clean Sci-fi style.

11. Are there any specific colours?
I don't really mind. But the existing is red and white, following Taylor's branding.

12. How can we ensure that the design is consistent with the company's brand?
Corporate identity of Taylor's. Has to still be based on Taylor's, but can have some forms of deviation.

13. Do you want any logo designs?
It would be nice to see a couple of proposals. If you feel that it will enhance the brand.


Key Takeaway

Fig. 2 Key takeaways, Week 7 (18/5/2023)

The key takeaways are that the design should be clean and simple, with some elements of Sci-fi. The colours should follow the branding of Taylor's and Vortex, though some deviations are alright. As for the wayfinding system, Mr Faisal prefers the combination of both analogue and digital.


Create

Moodboard

Fig. 3.1 Moodboard, Week 9 (31/5/2023)

I've chosen to do analogue as I do not have the skills for coding digital wayfinding systems. My moodboard consists of 3D elements, lights, cut-outs, lines and geometric shapes. The overall style is sci-fi minimalism. The colours follow the brand colours of Vortex and Taylor's. Being red, black and white.

Sketches & Digitisation

Fig. 3.2 Rough signage sketches, Week 9 (31/5/2023)


Fig. 3.3 Map drafting, Week 9 (4/6/2023)


Fig. 3.4 Signage drafts, Week 9 (4/6/2023)

The design process began with very rough sketches as I was unsure of how to tackle this project. I felt that my sketches were going nowhere so I began drafting them digitally in Illustrator. This was where I figured out that the issue was with the map being too simplified and unfinished looking. I also asked my peers for their opinion and they mentioned that the problem was with the map.


Fig. 4.1 Map redesigning, Week 9 (4/6/2023)


Fig. 4.2 Map design, Week 9 (4/6/2023)

The map was referenced from the floor plan of Taylor's. I chose to start at the main entrance since people usually enter Taylor's grounds. I also created a stair symbol with the line (though it can't bee seen from far), accompanied by instructions on going downstairs to reach Vortex.


Signage Designs

Fig. 5.1 All signage designs, Week 9-10 (2-8/6/2023)


Fig. 5.2 Vortex XR Lab Wayfinding Signage Design 1, Week 9 (3/6/2023)

Design 1 has a lightbox to illuminate the Vortex logo. It also has red neon lights at the bottom with the indentation of the Vortex logo pattern.


Fig. 5.3 Vortex XR Lab Wayfinding Signage Design 2, Week 10 (7/6/2023)

Design 2 is similar but in full white. It has a 3D map to portray that Vortex is on a lower level.


Fig. 5.4 Vortex XR Lab Wayfinding Signage Design 3, Week 10 (8/6/2023)

Design 3 is similar to Design 2 but with a more complicated design that looks reminiscent of a circuit board. The pathway of the map is red in colour and protrudes to capture the attention of viewers.


Fig. 5.5 Vortex XR Lab Wayfinding Signage Design 4, Week 10 (7/6/2023)

Design 4 is very minimalistic and has the same map as Design 2 but in black.


Fig. 5.6 Vortex XR Lab Wayfinding Signage Design 5, Week 10 (6/6/2023)

Design 5 is a variation of Design 4, with a flat lineart map and the red block as a light source.


Fig. 5.7 Vortex XR Lab Wayfinding Signage Design 6, Week 9 (4/6/2023)

Design 6 draws inspiration from technology and sci-fi, specifically circuit boards. It has strips of red neon light and a protruding circuit board design.


Fig. 5.8 Vortex XR Lab Wayfinding Signage Design 7, Week 9 (5/6/2023)

Design 7 is my favourite. It is also inspired by circuit boards. I decided to go with this one for my final. This is the main signage that will be placed at the main entrance and other locations. ‘You are Here’ and route changes depending on signage location.

I also thought about how there needs to be supporting signage that the user can follow all throughout Taylor's. I wasn't sure if I had to design those as well, but after receiving feedback Ms Dini suggested that I should.


Fig. 5.9 Supporting Signage - ceiling, Week 10 (11/6/2023)


Fig. 5.10 Supporting Signage - down, Week 10 (11/6/2023)


Fig. 5.11 Supporting Signage - up, Week 10 (10/6/2023)

The supporting signages have arrow indicators and would be placed at specific corners, especially near stairs.


Prototype

Once I was satisfied with the design, the prototypes were created in Illustrator. The sequence of these signages is what a user will experience when using these signages.


Fig. 6.1 Vortex XR Lab Wayfinding Signage Prototype - Main Signage, Week 10 (8/6/2023)

Beginning with the main signage located at the main entrance, the user will then walk to Block B hallway, where there's one signage at the ceiling.


Fig. 6.2 Vortex XR Lab Wayfinding Signage Prototype - Supporting Signage, Week 10 (11/6/2023)

The ceiling signage then points them to Block C, where the user will come across another main signage in the Block C hallway.


Fig. 6.3 Vortex XR Lab Wayfinding Signage Prototype - Main Signage, Week 10 (10/6/2023)

They will continue to walk from Block C to Block E, where they will come across the next signage.


Fig. 6.4 Vortex XR Lab Wayfinding Signage Prototype - Main Signage, Week 10 (9/6/2023)

Then they’ll turn right and walk down the Block E hallway, where they’ll see a supporting sign outside the Photography Studio (E1.01), next to the stairs.


Fig. 6.5 Vortex XR Lab Wayfinding Signage Prototype - Supporting Signage, Week 10 (11/6/2023)


Fig. 6.6 Vortex XR Lab Wayfinding Signage Prototype - Supporting Signage, Week 10 (10/6/2023)

Lastly, there’s a supporting signage located at Block E, Level LG (the stairs next to the lake, near Vortex).


Final Project Proposal

Fig. 7.1 Final Project Proposal - presentation, Week 10 (11/6/2023)

Presentation video: https://youtu.be/ODbGuGf-7gc


Draft Survey

Fig. 7.2 Draft Survey - PDF, Week 11 (13/6/2023)

The survey questions were drafted with the help of Ms Dini's example questions. Once these questions were approved by Ms Dini, a Google Forms Survey was made.


Fig. 7.3 Wayfinding System for Vortex XR Lab - Google Forms Survey, Week 11 (15/6/2023)


Test

Fig. 8.1 Survey results, Week 12 (18/6/2023)

The next stage was to conduct user testing for the wayfinding signage prototype. This user testing was done through a google forms survey with a total of 20 respondents. The target audience is students of Taylor's College and University. After consideration of the survey results, The signage had to go through some minor redesigning.


Develop

Fig. 8.2 Shortlisted signage designs, Week 11 (15/6/2023)

First, I listed down what I didn't like about the top 3 designs. Design 2 is wide and takes up unnecessary space. The concern with design 3 is that because it's white it blends into the white walls of Taylor’s and it gets dirty quickly. Additionally, the red light won't look as obvious against white.


Fig. 8.3 Redesign 2, Week 12 (19/6/2023)

Design 2 has additional lines on the left to attract attention to the signage since some participants mentioned that it was less attention-grabbing than the other 2 from before. I dislike this and find the lines very unnecessary. It makes it look skinnier at the bottom causing uneven visual weight.


Fig. 8.4 Redesign 3, Week 12 (19/6/2023)

For design 3 I changed the pathway colour to a light gray for better contrast and viewing because some participants did mention that the dark colour affects legibility. I prefer this subtle change the most.


Fig. 8.5 Redesign 4, Week 12 (20/6/2023)

Design 4 has the 3D map rendition. It looks very empty as a digital design but I believe it has some potential.


Fig. 8.6 Redesign 5, Week 12 (20/6/2023)

I also tried a white version of Design 4 to cater to the participants that preferred a white signage. I think it looks fine, the map is easily readable but the overall signage doesn't look as good as black.


Fig. 9.1 Final main signage, Week 12 (20/6/2023)


Fig. 9.2 Final supporting signages, Week 12 (20/6/2023)

For the final design, I chose the one with the lighter gray pathway, and the supporting signages remained the same.


Final Project: Wayfinding Design

Fig. 9.3 Final Project: Wayfinding Design - presentation, Week 11 (20/6/2023)

Presentation video: https://youtu.be/wMR-BVmTOHc


Presentation Day
Fig. 10.1 Mr Faisal providing feedback, Week 12 (22/6/2023)


Fig. 10.2 Class photo, Week 12 (22/6/2023)


FEEDBACKS

Week 7: Mr Faizal liked the precise questions, even tho we messed up a bit.

Week 10: Ms Dini likes the design. She mentioned that there should be other signage to support this main signage. The target audience is up to us.

Week 11:
1. You can consider using age ranges such as 17-20, 21-24, and 25 and above.
Feedback: It's a good idea to categorize your target audience based on age ranges. By using age ranges like 17-20, 21-24, and 25 and above, you can gather more specific data about different age groups. This approach will help you analyze any potential variations or trends across different age brackets.

2. All the other questions are great and can be presented to the general public.
Feedback: I'm glad to hear that the rest of your questions are well-developed. It's important to ensure that your survey or study questions are relevant and applicable to a wider audience. By making your questions accessible to the general public, you can gather diverse perspectives and insights, which will enrich your research findings.

Week 12: Dr Charles & Mr Faisal like the signage design. The colour scheme and style really suit Vortex. Dr Charles also suggested thinking about if the black colour may be too overpowering for some people, and to consider stylising the map to match the futuristic style of the signage. Mr Faisal also mentioned that the way the logo is placed is very strategic.


REFLECTION

I had a lot of doubts about starting this project because I'm not good with UI/UX. I was unsure of how and where to begin when designing a wayfinding system. I relied on my peer feedback and gained ideas on what to do which really helped my confidence in this project. Ms Dini was also very understanding and pleasant to work with! I expected to dislike this project but it turned out very eye-opening for me since I've never designed a wayfinding signage and designed purely for user experience.


Comments