Major Project: Deformity

28/8/2023 - 9/12/2023 / Week 1 - Week 15
Lui Hsiao Hui (Tressa) / 0342003
Major Project / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Deformity


INSTRUCTIONS



Notes from Major Project briefing:
- Don't do something you've not done before (risky, no time)
- Think about the industry
- Supervisors will be assigned next week
- Don't do simple animations (animatics) as this is Major Project
- Don't immediately focus on the outcome, but rather the process and its quality


Idea Generation
For our Major Project, we had to do a project based on our dissertation or a completely new topic. I came up with something different from my dissertation because I didn't enjoy the topic I did previously. 

I settled my area of interest in character and fashion design, with an interest in exploring doll design. The inspiration came from the brand Monster High and my childhood experiences of collecting in the past. I'm currently in a burnout phase, so I thought doing something related to my childhood would ease the burnout and make this project tolerable.

Recently, I've been noticing a saturation of profession-based dolls as seen with Barbie. Unique dolls like Monster High aren't sold anymore and there aren't many other choices that differ from the Barbie formula. This encouraged me further to explore this area of character design for a doll collection.


Fig. 1.1 Early notes, Week 1 (29-31/8/2023)

The brainstorming for this was an endless cycle of doubt and took a while to finalise and for me to feel confident. In my first notes, I brainstormed a lot about industry standards, the market and whether my ideas suited consumer wants. The more I picked apart my idea the more I struggled and got lost in doubt. I was very worried that I had to create something to appease consumer wants, as the lecturers mentioned creating something of use, something that would solve an issue. My project idea was very experimentative and selfish to my own creative wants, it was hard to connect what issue would creating a doll solve besides the basic 'oh it solves entertainment needs'. I kept thinking that I had to design a perfect finished product like Graphic Design, but Mr Kannan reassured me that I just had to focus on creating a concept, not an immediate finished product. It made more sense after discussing with Mr Kannan, I was more clear on the next steps and what was expected of this project idea.


Fig. 1.2 Drafted notes and ideas, Week 1 (1/9/2023)

After writing down my notes, I organised them into a document and discussed my idea with Mr Kannan.

4/9/2023 feedback notes:
  • The product should have a value and a pulling power.
  • What's the story? Play factor? Collectible? 
  • Create attachment and memorability. The appealing factor also generates curiosity for this collection of dolls.
  • How to promote this series of dolls?
  • How consumers are going to relate to your product and story?
  • There should be a scale fine line to how many rules you’re breaking. 
  • Output - ‘making of’ book.
  • Include character skins if possible.
  • Refine the culture you’re doing, doesn’t have to be strictly one culture.
  • Advice to make a physical packaging for more strength.
  • Make sure you test if you do something new.
  • You may include a scan code on the packaging to lead people to view the full catalogue of this specific collection.

Deformity - 1st Draft

Fig. 1.3 Deformity - notes and planning, Week 2-3 (5-11/9/2023)

I decided to go with an old story I wrote years ago and bring the characters to life. I thought if I did something personal and not a story based on mythology or culture, it would make my current burnout easier. I also decided to do a physical doll rather than a 3D sculpted and printed doll, because I find physical sculpting more engaging and enjoyable. I had a rough time doing 3D sculpting last time so I'd really rather not go through more pain than I already am right now.


Fig. 1.4 Moodboard, Week 3 (11/9/2023)


Fig. 1.5 General idea of characters - sketches, Week 3 (11/9/2023)


Fig. 1.6 Mute - moodboard & sketch, Week 3 (11/9/2023)


Fig. 1.7 Reena - moodboard & sketch, Week 3 (11/9/2023)


Fig. 1.8 Crown - moodboard & sketch, Week 3 (11/9/2023)

Early character concepts. Hence their description still needs to be fully written.


Design Development

Fig. 2.1 Mute - design variations, Week 5 (27/9/23)


Fig. 2.2 Crown - design variations, Week 5 (29/9/2023)


Fig. 2.3 Reena - design variations, Week 5 (29/9/2023)


Fig. 2.4 Belladonna - design variations, Week 5 (29/9/2023)

In weeks 4 to 5, I worked on refining the story and character design variations for the 4 characters. I struggled with doing the character designs simultaneously with the environment because I'm used to and prefer finishing one thing after another. I was also extremely burnt out and it became increasingly tough to continue down this path despite my efforts to make this project more tolerable. I ended up taking a ton of breaks, which of course caused my progress to slow.


Fig. 2.5 Mute - pose sketches, Week 6 (8/10/2023)


Fig. 2.6 Mute - orthographic and splash art progress, Week 7 (12/10/2023)

It may not seem like it but drawing these took a really long time. I had to make sure the thickness of the lines was accurate, but then again it might just be a me problem of wanting everything to be perfect.


Refining Reena's Design

In Week 7, I consulted Mr Kannan and mentioned that I felt very overwhelmed to complete all the characters especially since Mute's orthographic took forever. He redirected and advised me to prioritise the character that was going to be the physical doll (Reena) and told me to just focus on that, the rest could come later. We then discussed the drafted designs for Reena and picked out parts to combine and revise. 

Initially, I wanted to focus on Mute, because she was the character that first gave me the idea of this story. However, design-wise, Reena was more interesting and attention-grabbing, especially since her horn detail would be great to bring to life with sculpting, so I picked Reena.


Fig. 3.1 Reena - first refinement, Week 7 (13/10/2023)

For the first time in forever, I was satisfied with something. After showing this to Mr Kannan, I was advised to try out more hue shifts and other colour variations, so I spent more time doing just that.


Fig. 3.2 Reena - more refinements, Week 7 (14/10/2023)

I like the 1st one the most, it suits what I see Reena to be. The 3rd colour scheme makes her look like a sea creature, which is not what her character is, while the 2nd is too pink. Mr Kannan said to go with the 1st one as well. In terms of contrast, the 3rd one looks better, but the first one is a bit more balanced.


Fig. 3.3 Reena - splash art sketches, Week 8 (21/10/2023)

After finalising the colour scheme, I worked on the splash art poses. I wanted to go with the 4th pose for the final, but Mr Kannan mentioned that I should show more of her torso due to character presentation - people may have difficulty reading it.


Fig. 3.4 Reena - revised splash art sketch, Week 8 (21/10/2023)

I revised the pose after Mr Kannan's feedback.


Fig. 3.5 Reena - splash art and orthographic progression, Week 10 (1/11/2023)


Compiled Progression

Fig. 3.6 Reena progression, Week 3 - 10 (11/9 - 1/11/2023)

Fig. 3.7 Mute progression, Week 3 - 10 (11/9 - 12/10/2023)


Doll Creation

Fig. 4.1 - 4.7 Doll creation progression, Week 10 - 15 (31/10 - 5/12/2023)

The key feedback I got during my proposal presentation was that I should prime the body with clay/plasticine before painting over it because the bulk of clay on the head looks very disconnected from the body. Although it was a lot more work I still considered it and tried it out, but just a small amount. I added clay at the elbow area to create a more distinct shape. It's subtle but better than nothing.

Materials used:
Thrifted Monster High doll from Carousell
Air dry clay
Acrylic paint
Wire
Clear thread
Recycled fabric (old uniform)
Recycled bath scrub
Soft pastel (chalks)
Gloss varnish
Matte varnish

Tools:
Clay tool (stylus)
Wire tool
Scissors
Needle & thread
Hot glue
Sandpaper
Spray bottle of water (to smooth out clay)
My hand


Proposal

Fig. 5.1 Major Project - proposal slides, Week (6/11/2023)


Final

Fig. 6.1 Reena - splash art, Week 15 (6/12/2023)


Fig. 6.2 Reena - splash art, Week 15 (6/12/2023)

Made a light background variation because when printing the background colour in Fig. 6.1 does not turn out well in CMYK.


Fig. 6.3 & 6.4 Reena - alternate splash art, Week 15 (6/12/2023)


Fig. 6.5 Reena - doll poster, Week 15 (6/12/2023)


Fig. 6.6 Reena - doll orthographic, Week 15 (6/12/2023)


Fig. 6.7 Reena - close up, Week 15 (6/12/2023)


Fig. 6.8 Reena - medium shot, Week 15 (6/12/2023)


Fig. 6.9 & 6.10 Reena - details, Week 15 (6/12/2023)


Fig. 6.11 & 6.12 Reena - close up, Week 15 (6/12/2023)

All photos were taken and edited by me.
Lighting: Table lamp and phone torchlight
Camera: Canon EOS 700D


Fig. 6.13 The Making of Reena, Week 15 (7/12/2023)

This is the final slideshow that was displayed during the exhibition, to showcase the process behind the doll creation and character design of Reena. I actually planned to print this out into a booklet, but I couldn't make it in time (I literally did this the night before exhibition day). At least the colours look better when viewed from the laptop as compared to print.


Exhibition Day

Fig. 7.1 Manfred helping to hang up the photos, Week 15 (7/12/2023)

Decided to hang up the photos because there was no space on the table. Luckily we had the exhibition next to the fashion studio, so I got some grey thread to hang up the photos. I also borrowed Manfred's colour-changing table lamp for my booth display.


Fig. 7.2 Setup day, Week 15 (7/12/2023)

I look like an aunty pls.


Fig. 7.3 Booth display, Week 15 (8/12/2023)


Fig. 7.4 Booth display, Week 15 (8/12/2023)


Fig. 7.5 Booth display, Week 15 (8/12/2023)


Fig. 7.6 Xinnie taking photos of me and my booth, Week 15 (8/12/2023)


Guests!

Fig. 8.1 Featuring Mr Kannan, Week 15 (8/12/2023)

I was expecting the worst because I didn't manage to print an art book in time. Fortunately, Mr Kannan said the doll turned out nice and that he was proud of the outcome. He also said that I could 3D scan the doll, creating a video-like showcase but in 3D.


Fig. 8.2 Sharing my work with my peers, Week 15 (8/12/2023)


Fig. 8.3 Talking with juniors, Week 15 (8/12/2023)

I was fortunate enough to meet some of my juniors while talking to Mr Kannan. It was refreshing to see their positive feedback and appreciation for my work, as I've become really desensitised to hating it. I felt assured and encouraged after speaking to them, it was a really great interaction. I also got to share some tips and experiences so that was fun. They also supported me by buying my art prints, which I'm thankful for.


Fig. 8.4 & 8.5 Xinnie bought us flowers, Week 15 (8/12/2023)

Some happy photos to close off this painful journey.

Photos by Manfred & Xinnie.



FEEDBACKS

Week 2 (4/9/2023)
Mr Asrizal:
  • Focus more on the concept, no need to focus on the market because entertainment designs focus on conceptualising.
  • Doesn't necessarily have to be culture.
  • No need to research the market,
Mr Kannan:
  • The product should have a value and a pulling power.
  • What's the story? Play factor? Collectible? 
  • Create attachment and memorability. The appealing factor also generates curiosity for this collection of dolls.
  • How to promote this series of dolls?
  • How consumers are going to relate to your product and story?
  • There should be a scale fine line to how many rules you’re breaking. 
  • Output - ‘making of’ book.
  • Include character skins if possible.
  • Refine the culture you’re doing, doesn’t have to be strictly one culture.
  • Advice to make a physical packaging for more strength.
  • Make sure you test if you do something new.
  • You may include a scan code on the packaging to lead people to view the full catalogue of this specific collection.

Week 3 (12/9/2023)
Mr Kannan:
  • Create world drafts and overviews. 
  • Have 3 locations.
  • Designing creatures would be great for more variation.
  • It'll be great if you can have 2 dolls (2 sculpts), 1 antagonist & protagonist or 1 character & companion/creature.
  • Game showcase - game scene.
  • Keep a consistent style.
  • Altogether 6 characters: primary 3 - Mute, Crown, Belladonna; side 3 - Reena, Companion, Asher.

Week 5 (29/9/2023)
Mr Kannan:
So far it looks good. For your highpass polishing please don't use texture lines, make it crisp - simple hard round brush would do. Break down the motifs/symbols you're using for patterns for their clothes, and tattoos if there is any unique explanation.

For Crown, his crown has the floating sharp point. You have to think about how to make it more solid because it will be a challenge when building it physically. Keep in mind you are creating the lore of your concept idea at the same time you're looking at physical figurine creation. Always think of the product output as well, so it's a lot easier for you to package it.

For the environment, look for the podium or stage set as the ultimate. But sketch out the overview of the environment they are gonna be in. Start from the set as you see in most figurine box sets. Prioritise what is most important to complete the figurine.


Week 7 (12 & 13/10/2023)
Mr Kannan:
  • Mute's pose could be better but it's okay for now, focus on Reena.
  • Finalise Reena's sculpt then only move on to polishing other things such as splash art and other characters.
  • Start with a prototype sculpt on a test doll if you have, before attempting it on the real doll.
  • Go with the 1st design because it has more attention-grabbing hair, the 2nd one looks very safe. the colours need to be more saturated, try a warmer green hair with a purple dress. Bronze detail would be good too instead of gold, but of course, it'll depend on how the paint looks in person.
  • Try some hue shifts with the colours. Test other variations.

Week (2/11/2023)
Mr Kannan:
Draft the outfit so I can see what it looks like on the doll. The horn shape needs some refining, you may use clay tools to shape it a bit more. For the hair use watered-down acrylic to dye it, don't recommend using spray paint as it will harden the hair.


Week (6/11/2023) - Presentation
Mr Razif:
You can try plasticine to coat/prime the body before painting it. Right now it looks like you just slapped clay onto the doll's head, it feels disconnected from the body.


REFLECTION

Experience
Major Project was a painful experience, not because it was a 'major project' but because it was the time when my burnout and diminished passion were at their peak. Every day I did work that didn't make me happy, it was tiring to work in this situation. Moreover frustrating and infuriating because I used to find joy in it. It was the constant cycle of "why" and "what's the point?". It wasn't often that I felt satisfied with my work, despite knowing and being told that the drawings looked nice, I couldn't feel anything towards them. Major Project truly felt like an identity and life crisis. I often considered dropping out because I didn't care how close I was to finishing this semester, I just wanted the suffering to end. It’s unfortunate that my Major Project had to take a huge hit because of my current situation. I know there are a lot of improvements that could be made, but I've accepted that I do not have the energy for that right now and that this is the best that I can do with this burnout. 

About Sculpting
I'm glad I decided to go with physical sculpting, despite its trial and tribulations and the fact that I never tried sculpting on a doll before. It's more satisfying to see the character I designed come to life in person, than through a screen. Doing a physical sculpt also suited my burnout because there's something for me to engage with and hold, sort of like a way to ground myself. If I did 3D sculpting in Zbrush I'd probably never finished it. 

Appreciation
I'm very thankful to my friends who supported me and gave me positive affirmations when I was constantly floating in a sea of doubt and unhappiness. Getting appreciation for my work during the exhibition was also quite a surprise for me because I've been so desensitised about my work that it's hard to see my value. I'd also like to thank Mr Kannan for being patient and understanding with my slow progress, and for providing helpful guidance and feedback for me to improve.


Comments