20/9/2021 - 17/10/2021 / Week 5 - Week 9
Lui Hsiao Hui (Tressa) / 0342003
Advanced Typography / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Advanced Typography / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Task 2: Key Artwork and Collateral
LECTURES
All lectures 1 to 5 completed in Task 1 - Exercise 1 & 2
INSTRUCTIONS
Task 2A: Key Artwork
For Task 2A we are to design a key artwork, which behaves as a logo and
artwork. We are to use our name/initials. This key artwork will
subsequently be used in Task 2B on various collateral.
- Not necessarily legible
- Artwork made from type
- Explore options - compositions etc
- Almost monogram-ish
- Certain level of simplicity
- Elegant solution, visual communication
- Artwork needs to be scalable
1. Ideation and sketches
Fig. 1.1 Inspiration sourced from Pinterest
Key artwork ideas/overall look I want based on my style and identity.
- Chinese seal stamp: Represents my culture and the idea of creating an artist signature.
- Fantasy/sci-fi looking: Represents my favourite genres.
- Abstract art/tattoo art: Represents my passion for art/art style.
- Sharpness: Represents my personality and style.
- Serif: I prefer to design serifs over sans serifs, also a stylistic choice.
Occupation: Artist
Fig. 1.2 Sketches, Week 5 (21/9/2021)
Version #1: Thin strokes, geometrical, very fine and sharp.
Version #2: Greater contrast in strokes, more curvatures, almost
organic-like.
I decided to use my username TRXSSA which represents my English name Tressa because I identify with it more than my real name. This task is also
based on identity so I thought it was better to choose what I identify
best with. I'm not going to enjoy and be in tune with the process if I
chose my actual name.
I incorporated my key artwork ideas mentioned above into these sketches
as seen with the sharpness and almost abstract art style. At first, I
did sketches of the letters TRX, trying to combine these letters into
one form. Then I got the idea of extending the form with the rest of my
username - SSA. It was challenging because all the letters were pretty
geometric, except the double S, so it was hard to incorporate them into
the form. While the sketches/letters may look understandable to me, they
would look abstract and not legible to viewers. The letters can't really
be deciphered unless they're broken apart. However, the artistic/fine
art side of me really likes the abstract and illegible form. It's my way
of expression and art.
2. Digitalisation
Fig. 2.1 Version #2 attempts, Week 5 (21-22/9/2021)
1. Digitalised sketch of version #2
2. Overlapped S and A
I wanted to create some abstract form and have it wrapped around the main
letters TRX. The concept was to make it look like art interlacing a logo
and to represent my passion for art. I think it looks interesting but
illegible for people who don't know what the letters are. Nevertheless, I
like the contrast of how the black letterforms (TRX) are more structured
than the whimsical S and A.
3. Overlapped S
I wanted to see how it would look without the A and overlapped it
differently. It looks imbalanced because of the empty space on the
right.
4. Overlapped X
The problem with these designs was that the X looked like a K. In this
attempt, I removed that and replaced it with an overlapped organic X. The
TR is more pronounced now, however, this still wasn't something I was
satisfied with as a key artwork. With that, I settled on perfecting
version #1 below.
Fig. 2.2 Shape builder tool
To make the vector shapes overlap another shape at specific parts, I
used the shape builder tool.
Fig. 2.3 Alignment of anchor points
Fig. 2.4 Misalignment of anchor points
During the creation of the key artwork, I had to observe carefully if the
vectors are aligned because when zoomed out they are easily missed.
Fig. 2.5 Version #1 progression, Week 5 (21-23/9/2021)
Fig. 2.6 Version #1 creation - shapes and strokes
These were constructed using a combination of shapes and strokes. The same
method was used for Version #2.
Fig. 2.7 Version #1 - digitalised sketch, Week 5 (21/9/2021)
I digitalised version #1 sketch #2 and changed its form slightly. I
noticed that 2 pt for the strokes is too thin when viewed from far, so
for the next attempts, I changed it to 5 pt. I also observed that it is
imbalanced - the thickness of the serifs are varied, hence the
'darkness' isn't spread out well (equal visual weight). The counterform
also bothered me - some empty spaces are larger than others. It felt
awkward and as if something was supposed to be there.
Fig. 2.8 Version #1 - refining initial idea, Week 5 (21/9/2021)
After much thinking, I decided that it was best to refine/straighten the
curved forms of the original sketch and make it less decorative because
it already was quite abstract. Especially with the X constantly looking
like a K, that was a problem. I still wanted it to look like abstract
art, but more typeface-like.
In Fig. 2.8, I was trying to reposition the T and X and decide on the
best layout before attempting to add the rest of the letters. It may
seem very simple, but I really racked my brain trying to figure this
part out. Mainly because when the serifs of the T touches the X, it
boxes the counterform which causes confusion of what the letters are.
Fig. 2.9 Version #1 - refining attempt #1, Week 5 (22/9/2021)
Afterwards, I began to explore different variations. I really liked this
design because it looks like a sword and I think that’s cool and it fits
the fantasy element which I mentioned in my ideation. However, I had no
idea how to fit the S and the entire thing looks like TXA instead of TRXA.
But I really liked this sword-like structure so I continued it in my
subsequent attempts.
Fig. 2.10 & 2.11 Version #1 - refining attempt #2 and #3, Week 5
(22-23/9/2021)
In these attempts, I focused on fitting SS into the composition. Attempt
#2 looks a bit repetitive to me, and the enclosure of some parts is
distracting and confusing. It makes the letters lose their legibility. The
balance isn’t great either because it's slanting upwards on the left and
downwards on the right when it comes to the SS. It also reminds me of a
centipede - I cannot unsee this and I dislike this design.
Fig. 2.12 Version #1 - refining attempt #4, Week 5 (23/9/2021)
This attempt was unfinished/abandoned. I tried to incorporate the S into
the R and X. But I didn't like it so I moved on to another attempt. It
reminds me of the Eye of Horus though.
Fig. 2.13 Version #1 - refining attempt #5, Week 5 (23/9/2021)
For this attempt, I tried a different direction/way to join the letters
together. Because I struggled so much with expressing the X and R
together, I decided to switch the X to an E (so it's TRESSA instead of
TRXSSA). I didn't plan on using this because it isn't the style I wanted
so I quickly moved back to the vertical composition (sword-like
composition) and still went along with TRXSSA instead of TRESSA.
Fig. 2.14 Version #1 - refining attempt #6, Week 5 (23/9/2021)
For the final attempt of week 5, I referred back to the design I liked in
Fig. 2.5 and tried to maintain the same sword-like composition. I finally
came up with a design I liked and that made sense in the order of the
letters. At this point, I was so exhausted after all the frustrating
attempts with the brain-damaging joining of the letters.
The Chinese character è•™ is a part of my Chinese name. The key artwork has
a similar silhouette to represent that.
Fig. 2.15 Version #1 attempt #6 "R", Week 5 (23/9/2021)
I was struggling with the bowl of the R. To solve the awkwardness I
decided to overshoot the bowl and even out the thickness. As pictured
above I used Adobe Illustrator's built-in grids in the creation of my key
artwork.
Fig. 2.16 Separating the letters to explore typeface creation
Fig. 2.17 Typeface exploration, Week 5 (23/9/2021)
I ended up not focusing too much on this because I still gravitated towards
the vertical composition, and I thought this was too boring, too 'easy'.
Having it horizontal would make it look like a normal type display, which
isn't what I wanted. I wanted something that looks reminiscent of Chinese
seal stamps, yet abstract and looks like art. Nevertheless, this typeface
exploration did help me to refresh a bit, taking a break from struggling
with the vertical composition and get the idea to formulate the design I
liked in Fig. 2.14.
3. Variants of chosen design (Week 6)
Fig. 3.1 Variants of chosen design, Week 6 (27/9/2021)
In week 6, Mr. Vinod suggested trying out a different composition
because it looked similar to J.R.R. Tolkien's monogram. I compared
J.R.R. Tolkien's monogram with mine and found that it's the T and R. But
I couldn't change the positioning of the R as it would affect the
spelling. Hence, I did a different design for the T as seen in Fig. 3.1.
I also curved the ends of the S/A which turns the typographic letters
look into looking more like a symbol. The first 3 designs on the left
also look more like a sword, suiting the fantasy concept in my
ideation. Regardless, I still preferred the dominant T of the original
design because of the stability. The crossbar of the T signifies a
starting frame and it appears stronger than the other iterations.
Furthermore, its silhouette represents my Chinese name è•™ much closer.
Compiled workflow of designing the key artwork
*Version #2 exploration and typeface exploration are not included in
this as they are already compiled above.
Fig. 3.3 Final key artwork - black and white, Week 5 (23/9/2021)
With my key artwork, I wanted to show that I am an artist, so I got the
idea of creating something reminiscent of a Chinese seal stamp. The
concept is for my key artwork to act as my artist signature, while also
showing my design/art style, identity and influence from fantasy/sci-fi.
To signify that, it has a slight alien-esque and sinister undertone with
thin strokes and sharp edges. Its form is also reminiscent of a sword,
representing the fantasy element/influence.
Occupation: Artist
Task 2B: Collateral
We are tasked to design the following with our key artwork in Task 2A:
- Poster (A2)
- Animated invite (square, 800/1024 px)
- 3 relevant collaterals (minimum 2 collaterals)
1. Poster
Fig. 4.1 Poster design attempts of Week 7 (3/10/2021)
Since my key artwork acts as an artist's signature, I decided that my
event should be an art exhibition, with the theme being "PANDEMONIUM"
deriving from the ominous look of my key artwork.
During this week I was very fatigued and had a hard time focusing on
coming up with poster designs, so the designs in Fig 4.1 are
repetitive. Moreover, I struggled to incorporate the content
seamlessly with my key artwork. I wanted the key artwork to be the
emphasis so in these iterations it was always the content being
shifted around instead of the key artwork. This actually demotivated
me because it was tough to find a good and readable placement for the
content (legibility is always a concern).
For the colours, I kept it at a maximum of 3 colours - black and white
+ one colour. This is because I wanted it to match the art exhibition theme. It is also my preference of using
monotonous colour schemes. I like the intensity of the red and black
colour scheme. However, this time I felt more drawn towards purple and
black which are my other favourite colours. It's also time to take a
break from using my ultimate favourite colour scheme red and black
often in my work.
For the text of the content, I chose a serif typeface called "Sprat".
It has different variations within the type family and it matches the
look of my key artwork.
Fig. 4.2 Refined poster designs, Week 7 (5 & 7/10/2021)
In week 7, Mr. Vinod mentioned that I can try placing all the information
within one of the frames/box of the key artwork and that I should reduce
the size of the content text. The feedback was really helpful because it
looks way better as the content doesn't compete with the key artwork
anymore.
In posters #3 and #4, I experimented with arranging my key artwork
differently to form different patterns. I like the outcome however I think
it's a little too complicated and my original key artwork couldn't be seen
anymore. Although I like the abstract and complicated patterns, I thought
design #2 would be the better choice for cohesion. The key artwork is
obvious in that one and it commands the entire poster.
*The black background is actually a really dark gray instead of
black.
Fig. 4.3 Alignment of texts to key artwork, Week 7 (7/10/2021)
Fig. 4.4 Final art exhibition poster, Week 7 (5/10/2021)
2. Animated invite
Fig. 5.1 Frames created in Adobe Illustrator, Week 7 (5/10/2021)
To create the animation I used the frame by frame method. I created these
frames in separate layers in Illustrator then imported them into After
Effects. It do be a tedious method.
Fig. 5.2 & 5.3 WIP in Adobe After Effects, Week 7 (5/10/2021)
In After Effects I used the curve graph to edit the speed of the keyframed
movements. This makes the movement more dynamic. Motion blur is also used
because the movements look unrealistic without it.
Fig. 5.4 Test logo animation, Week 7 (5/10/2021)
Before attempting to animate the entire invite, I made a test logo
animation. My idea was to make the T look like it's stabbing through the
logo. The little 'jump' when the T connects with the R and X was done
using the scale option in After Effects. It's also to emphasise the
movement of the T.
Fig. 5.5 Final animated invite, Week 8 (11/10/2021)
For the logo animation, I made some changes to the speed and also changed
the starting formation. Besides that, I decided to not show the poster
version of the key artwork in the animated invite because it didn't fit
the square frame well.
The X at the end was made using the A, mirrored on both sides. "TRSSA" is
engraved in the background to match my artbook collateral.
With this animated invite, I wanted to convey and bring to life the theme
of the art exhibition "PANDEMONIUM". One detail is that I purposely made
the title "pandemonium" flash to show the word "demon", adding to the
theme.
3. Collaterals
Collateral #1: Ticket
Fig. 6.1 Art exhibition ticket designs, Week 7-8 (5-12/10/2021)
I created variations of my key artwork for the ticket designs. I like how
the ends of the key artwork in design #2 frame the barcode at the bottom.
My favourite design would be #1 because the empty space in design #2 is
distracting. While design #3's key artwork strays a little too far from
the key artwork in my poster. I decided to use that instead for the back
of the ticket as seen in Fig. 6.3 below.
*The part with the barcode has to have a white background because white
barcodes don't work.
Fig. 6.2 Final collateral #1: Art exhibition ticket (front), Week 8
(12/10/2021)
Fig. 6.3 Final collateral #1: Art exhibition ticket (back), Week 8
(12/10/2021)
*Glossy effect for the key artwork pattern on the back. The effect was
edited in Photoshop.
Collateral #2: Artbook (Cover)
For the 2nd collateral, I chose to make an artbook cover because it makes
sense that artists sell artbooks during their exhibition.
I made two variations - black and white. I wanted the book covers to have
the key artwork engraved into them and follow the format of the poster.
The effect was done using Photoshop. I also added a slight paper effect to
indicate the material of the cover.
Fig. 6.4 Photoshop 'layer style'
I used the layer style options to edit the engraved look for the key artwork. A total of 9 layers as seen with the checked boxes in Fig. 7.1. Below are the final covers.
Fig. 6.5 Final collateral #2: Artbook (white), Week 7 (8/10/2021)
Fig. 6.6 Final collateral #2: Artbook (black), Week 8 (12/10/2021)
Collateral #3: Key artwork signature stamp
Fig. 6.7 Final collateral #3: Key artwork signature stamp, Week 8 (12/10/2021)
I wanted to make a stamp of my key artwork/logo. As mentioned in my rationale for my key artwork, my idea was for it to act as my art signature.
The mockup/simulation on the left was sourced online.
Fig. 6.8 Photoshop distort effect 'displace', Week 8 (12/10/2021)
To create the stamp on paper effect, I layered the logo three times with the blending effect 'overlay' (as seen on the right panel). Each layer has a custom displace effect to mimic the look of ink on paper as realistic as possible. The paper texture was sourced online.
Final Task 2: Key Artwork and Collateral
Fig. 7.1 Final key artwork - black and white (occupation: artist), Week 6 (27/9/2021)
Fig. 7.2 Final key artwork - coloured (occupation: artist), Week 6 (27/9/2021)
Fig. 7.3 Final poster - art exhibition, Week 7 (5/10/2021)
Fig. 7.5 Final animated invite, Week 8 (11/10/2021)
Fig. 7.6 & 7.7 Final collateral #1: Art exhibition tickets (front
and back), Week 8 (12/10/2021)
Fig. 7.8 Simulated exhibition tickets, Week 8 (12/10/2021)
Fig. 7.9 Final collateral #2: Artbook (white), Week 7 (8/10/2021)
Fig. 7.10 Final collateral #2: Artbook (black), Week 8 (12/10/2021)
Fig. 7.11 Simulated artbooks, Week 8 (12/10/2021)
Fig. 7.12 Final collateral #3: Key artwork signature stamp, Week 8
(12/10/2021)
Fig. 7.13 Flat lay of Task 2, Week 8 (12/10/2021)
*Poster, artbooks and tickets are scaled according to size. Poster:
A2; Artbooks: A4.
Fig. 7.14 Final Task 2 - PDF, Week 8 (12/10/2021)
Hours spent for Task 2
Task 2A: Key Artwork - 22 hours
Task 2B: Collateral - 32 hours
FEEDBACK
Week 6
General feedback: Relate your key artwork to your occupation if you
weren't a designer. The more simple/complicated the form, the less
memorable it is. Be more explorative.
Specific feedback: The final choice (attempt #6) reminds Mr. Vinod
of J.R.R. Tolkien's monogram. Suggestion to explore other compositions.
Week 7
General feedback: Use elements of your key artwork to create a
poster. Implement principles of design - repetition, emphasis, contrast,
colour, etc to aid in your poster design. Focus on creating visual
impact, then only manage the information to support the visual.
Specific feedback: Reduce point size of information texts, they
can be fitted into one section of the key artwork.
Week 8 (Independent learning week)
REFLECTION
Experience
I had many ups and downs during this task, mostly because it was hectic with other modules. I enjoyed Task 2A the most. I really liked my key artwork outcome and was excited to implement it into the subsequent collaterals and poster. However, when it got to Task 2B, I got pretty exhausted and couldn't enjoy the process, so that really took the fun out for me. I lingered on a lot on the designs when doing Task 2B especially. Somehow I just wasn't satisfied and everything felt very mechanical. At the end of the day, I think this task prepares us well for Task 3 because it introduces the process of designing an identity. I also liked how we got to focus on ourselves because we were instructed to use our initials/name. Personalisation allows for better connection.
Observations
From this task, I learned to observe the colour usage in text and the importance of capital and lowercase letters. It was a good refresh on the factors that enhances visual communication and I was reminded of how certain colours can appear different with a different coloured background. More on this in my further reading below. Other than that, during the creation of the key artwork, I had to observe carefully if the anchor points are aligned, because they were easily missed when zoomed out.
Findings
Through this project, I found that design is really all about visual communication, and also how I struggle to prioritise that. I often care more about how the design looks, if I like it etc, rather than if it's decipherable and 'makes sense' to viewers. It felt like a constant battle for my fine arts side because I love making abstract designs. I had to remind myself that this is about typography and not stray too far from it when doing this task.
FURTHER READING
Fig. 8.1 Typographic design: Form and communication (2015)
Reference:
Carter, R., Day, B., Meggs, P. B., Maxa, S., & Sanders, M.
(2015). Typographic design: Form and communication.
Hoboken, New Jersey: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Fig. 8.2 Capital and lowercase letters
Chapter 3: Legibility, page 53
Capital letters:
- Straight horizontal alignment, creating an even word outline with letters of similar shape and size. A reader is not provided with the necessary visual cues that make words recognisable.
- A reader can become confused if a word takes on an appearance that differs from the originally learned word shape.
- Capital letters also take up more space.
Lowercase letters: Words that are distinct, based upon their irregular word shape and internal pattern. A variety of letter shapes, ascenders, and descenders - visual cues.
Fig. 8.3 One of the first poster attempt, Week 7 (3/10/2021)
Fig. 8.3 shows one of my first poster attempts. I used all caps so the words appeared large even if the point size was already small. Later on, I changed it to lowercase and capitals. It's also hard to read because it looks like a bunch of lines, especially since they're 90 degrees. This relates to Fig. 8.2 on the legibility between capital and lowercase letters.
Fig. 8.4 Legibility and colours
Chapter 3: Legibility, page 56
Although I already know about how certain colours seem to change when a different background is applied, reading this was a good refresh on colour theory and being sensitive and rational when selecting colour.
Fig. 8.5 and 8.6 Comparison of white and black background affecting the purple
Initially, for my poster design, I chose a slightly darker, warmer and more vibrant purple as I made the white poster first. But when I made the background black, the purple didn’t seem to stand out. This resulted in the slight hue and brightness change I had to do. Relating to Fig. 8.4, it shows how toning down the colour or shifting the hues will help with making the text stand out. From this, I also learned that not only does a designer have to be sensitive to the colour combinations they chose, but also consider the hues and tints, and most importantly how saturated colours can tire the eyes even if it provides good contrast. Personally, this feels like an attack because I love using saturated colours/very contrasted colours because I like the ‘in your face’ type of style. I’ll have to tone it down when it comes to graphic design. It’s always a battle with personal style.
Besides colour, the choice of typeface is also mentioned. For Task 2, I used a serif typeface called "Sprat". Choosing a serif alone already lowered the readability a bit because sans serifs are usually best used for information due to them being easier to read from far.
Fig. 8.7 and 8.8 Comparison of purple and white text
At the beginning of the black poster, I had the content text in the same purple colour. However, it was hard to read so I changed it to white. The book mentions that especially with serifs, greater contrast in colour is needed. Which was what my intention was for changing the content text from purple to white in the black poster.




















Comments
Post a Comment
be nice