Design Principles - Week 2: Emphasis and Balance

9/4/2021 - 16/4/2021 / Week 2 - Week 3
Lui Hsiao Hui (Tressa) / 0342003
Design Principles / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Topic 2: Emphasis and Balance


LECTURES

Week 2: Friday 9/4/2021
Dr. Jinchi's pre-recorded lecture taught us about emphasis, balance, the golden ratio and the rule of thirds. There are many ways to create emphasis - colour, contrast, shape, scale, perspective, placement, etc. As for balance, there is symmetrical, asymmetrical and sometimes radial. Balance could be in the form of patterns, or also the placement of the subject, as well as other design elements such as scale. All design elements are interconnected. Furthermore, we were given many examples of the golden ratio in nature and the importance of the rule of thirds in framing subjects and creating appealing compositions.

Week 3: Tuesday 13/4/2021
Fig. 1.1 Emphasis demonstration

In week 3, Dr. Charles started off the lecture with the design principle emphasis. In Fig. 1.1, he used toy soldiers to create examples of emphasis, all the while making a storyline with them. I thought it was great of Dr. Charles to use his personal collection of toy soldiers too, it shows his passion and that there is nothing wrong with collecting figurines or toys. 


Fig. 1.2 Emphasis examples in a Superman comic book

Dr. Charles used comic art examples to show emphasis. There is a sense of repetition and direction with all the lines in this particular comic scene. All lines point towards superman, creating leading lines, drawing viewers' attention to Superman. The whole frame is emphasising the main character. This is also an illusionary effect with the use of invisible frames.


Fig. 1.3 Golden Ratio

Dr. Charles used Adobe Illustrator to demonstrate how to construct the golden ratio, and how we could implement it into our work.


Fig. 1.4 Rule of Thirds
 
We could use a camera to experiment with the rule of thirds when taking photos. These compositional guides can also be used to emphasise our subjects.


INSTRUCTIONS

1. TWO designs, one for emphasis and one for balance.
2. Upload both designs in PDF file in your blog.
3. Send your blog link here.
4. Your blog must be in your actual name for easy identification. Make sure it has:
    a) Visual research
    b) Idea exploration
    c) Feedback from lecturer
    d) Final design outcome (pictures must be neatly cropped and must not be shadowy/blur)
    e) Brief reflection for the week

Materials: Coloured pencils, pens, markers.


VISUAL RESEARCH

Emphasis
Fig. 2.1 Art by Miles Johnston (@miles_art)

The contrast in values and detail draws viewers to look at the oval frame of infinity faces. Brighter subjects capture attention first.


Fig. 2.2 Art by Chan (@flesh.png)

The contrast in colour and brightness. Creates distinction and focal point. Most viewers would be drawn to the doll she's holding first because its value is lighter, therefore more eye-catching. The girl's eyes are the only ones in off-white which makes her eyes stand out. She is looking at the doll, therefore if some people look at the red girl first, her light eyes will lead them to look at the other bright subject, which is the doll.


Fig. 2.3 Art by Oyvind Lauvdahl (@lauvdahl)

The contrast of red against black and white. The balloon is also large and is the only circular shape in the drawing so it stands out, being the emphasis of the piece. Additionally, the use of overlaying creates texture and adds visual interest.


Fig. 2.4 "Chronicles, Volume 1" by James Perolls (@perolls)

The tree in this photograph is the emphasis. It stands out in the background and is an element of contrast because it is the only tree present in this photo. This composition is also done in the rule of thirds.


Fig. 2.5 "Moon River" by Jasmin Chavez (@kool.type)

The contrast in the scale of the type as well as colour. There is a distinct difference in the size of the words, creating immediate emphasis on "Moon River". The background of the title is also bright, thus catches attention.



Balance
Fig. 3.1 TYPEONE Magazine by @typosters

Asymmetrical balance, with the use of negative space. The heavyweight is focused on the right, with the "1" aligned with the barcode on the bottom right.


Fig. 3.2 Poster by @posterjournal

Symmetrical balance. Horizontal alignment, words are equally aligned.


Fig. 3.3 Art by Cristina Gonzalez (@snakes.n.roses)

Symmetrical balance. The tiger is mirrored, the mountains aren't mirrored but the placement creates equal visual weight, along with the sun, moon and text marking the center.



Golden Ratio
Fig. 4.1 & 4.2 Golden Ratio in Photography

Fig. 4.3 Golden Ratio in Apple Logo

Also known as phi. The Golden Ratio is a mathematical concept and a number that goes on indefinitely (1.618033988749895). It is perceived as the representative of perfect beauty and is present throughout nature. It is used as a guide to creating visual balance in architecture, paintings, designs, etc.



Rule of Thirds
Fig. 5.1 Rule of Thirds in Filmmaking

Fig. 5.2 Rule of Thirds in Photography

The Rule of Thirds is a simplification of the Golden Ratio, a composition guideline to create more dynamism to a work of design/photography/film/painting. An image is divided evenly into thirds, both horizontally and vertically, and the subject of the image is placed at the intersection of those dividing lines, or along with one of the lines itself.


PROGRESS AND IDEA EXPLORATION

1. Emphasis

Fig. 6.1 Emphasis rough sketches, Week 2 (9/4/2021)

I came up with 3 ideas, the first is an illustration of three characters placed a slanted alignment and varying in scale to show a sense of perspective and emphasis. The main character would be the largest and the one at the most front, while the supporting characters are at the middle ground. The idea was that the main character would be in colour, while the other two would be in pen. The contrast in colour (different mediums) between each character brings out emphasis to the main character.

For the second idea, I thought of illustrating my character from a story I wrote years ago. The emphasis in the sketch would be some words on the character's face. It would be in red while the rest of the illustration would be in black and white. However, I had another idea I really wanted to do, hence came the third idea.

In the end, I went with the third idea: a symbolic illustration of my character with his crown. I decided that I wanted to draw attention (emphasis) to his crown. It would be in red, while the character and background in black and white.


Inspiration - Emphasis
Fig. 6.2 Still from the Dream SMP Animatic "Innocence" by Late-August

This was shown in my previous Design Principle blog entry. Ever since I watched this animatic, I knew I wanted to try the red and black colour scheme along with character art. They just look so appealing and strong to me. Besides, red and black are also my favourite colours and they're my favourite colour combinations.

Fig. 6.3 Idea #3 refined sketch, Week 2 (9/4/2021)

After further thinking, I decided to change the placement of the crown for stronger symbolism and meaning towards the character. This will be explained in the final outcome below.


Final Outcome - Emphasis

Fig. 6.4 "Crowned Your Mind", Week 2 (9/4/2021)

The final outcome of my emphasis illustration. Medium: Pen, brush pens and red marker. When working with brush pens, I had to be careful and patient to avoid line overlaps. Unfortunately though, at his neck, there is a bit of line overlapping which cannot be fixed.

To make the crown stand out, I kept my character and background in a middle to a dark gray colour value. That way, it juxtaposes the striking red crown more, creating a stronger emphasis.

A little bit of background to this piece: "Crown", a character from a story I created way back in 2018, is nicknamed "Crown" because he is a prince with the ability to control and read minds. Hence the ironic title "Crowned Your Mind". The flipped crown covering his eyes is a symbol of his disdain for his royal lineage, being born a prince and his struggles with control. The crown is placed this way instead of upright because it portrays a more powerful expression of his unprincely traits and story. It is to also resemble a blindfold, a metaphor of being blind to self-control, often trespassing into people's minds whenever he wants. I thought this exercise was a great opportunity for me to create an illustration based on this story I wrote long ago since it's always in the back of my head and I've never created art for it. It may not be a very extravagant and detailed piece but I'm very attached to the meaning behind it. I would very well love to revisit this piece in the future when I have time. 


2. Balance

Fig. 7.1 Balance rough sketches, Week 3 (12/4/2021)

I had two ideas for balance - symmetrical and asymmetrical. The first idea I had was to create an illustration of three characters together, creating symmetrical and central balance since there are two other characters on either side of the composition, creating equal visual weight. Then it reminded me of the Fates from Greek Mythology and thought it'd be cool if I could do my own rendition of them. The second idea is an illustration of a fight scene to showcase asymmetrical balance. I also sketched out the golden ratio in the sketch.

I was very intrigued by my first idea, so I decided to go with it. Symbolically, it matches well with the concept of balance too. In Greek Mythology, the Fates were the dictators of humans' destinies - life. In life, there is always balance, no matter the chaos. 


Fig. 7.2 Idea #1 refined sketch, Week 3 (12/4/2021)

The Fates (also known as Moirai) represented the cycle of life - Birth, Life, and Death. Left to right: Lachesis (The Allotter; representing Life), Atropos (The Inevitable; representing Death), and Clotho (The Spinner; representing Birth).

Clotho has her face and neck entangled with the thread of life, as she is the Spinner. She is in charge of choosing when a mortal would be born. Lachesis has threads hanging out of her eyes because she measures the thread of life. It is she who determines the lifespan of mortals, thus sealing their destinies. Finally, the eldest sister Atropos has a pair of scissors stuck in her bun atop her head, as she is the one who cuts the thread of life, ending a life of a mortal. 


Final Outcome - Balance

Fig. 7.3 "Fates", Week 3 (12/4/2021)

Final outcome depicting symmetrical balance. Medium: Pen, brush pens, red marker and coloured pencil. Creating this piece was fun, simply because I used to be very into Greek Mythology. It was also fun creating my own depiction and coming up with symbolic visuals. I used a pen to draw the three sisters, a brush pen for creating definitions on their faces, a red marker for their ears and red coloured pencil for the background.

When creating this piece, I also utilised the rule of thirds to help in creating balance. I decided to crop the A4 illustration to 16:9 because I prefer the cinematic-styled frame. For Clotho and Lachesis, I made sure their hair were similarly mirrored, to ensure symmetrical balance. I think there is also a little bit of emphasis on the eldest sister (middle). The eldest sister Atropos, is placed slightly higher in the center, suggesting that she's of a vital role and status, which makes sense because she cuts the thread of life. Her bun and scissors adds to her height, giving her a sense of importance, and she is also the only one with dark hair (contrast). So she stands out slightly. Furthermore, I kept the colouring simple and similar, to ensure that I keep the symmetrical balance. If one sister was coloured in a different colour value, it would look a little awkward and off-balanced.

In the end, I did make a few changes to the refined sketch. In the refined sketch (Fig. 7.2) I drew threads entwining Lachesis's neck (left). However, I thought it was more suitable to have that for Clotho (right) since she is the Spinner, not Lachesis. In addition, I decided to leave their eyes blank, as symbolism for fate and destiny. No mortals will ever know their fate or destiny, hence why their eyes are blank. Another change would be the slight smile of Atropos (middle). I thought she looked too sad in the refined sketch, as if she dislikes ending mortals' lives, but the Fates are often depicted as merciless, so I changed the corners of her mouth to resemble a sinister smile.

The red background is a representative of a cloth, with its threads being ripped off, another symbol for the thread of life and what the sisters do. The ears of the sisters are coloured red, a metaphor for "fall on deaf ears". Mortals would plea and make sacrifices in order to protect their newborns from terrible fates. However, the sisters were very strict and would not change their minds, thus ignoring pleas from mortals. Lastly, Atropos's sharp eyeliner resembles scissors, a little detail that supports her role of cutting the thread of life.


PDF FILE
Fig. 8 Exercise 2: Emphasis and Balance - PDF, Week 3 (13/4/2021)


REFLECTION

Because I wasn't happy with my first exercise, I decided to express myself and do better through illustration for this exercise, since I love drawing. It worked and I enjoyed creating for this exercise, I just had to find something I liked and try to incorporate it. I loved the allocated materials too. Pen and pencil are my much-preferred mediums compared to water-based mediums. I think this is a good exercise because it made me come up with ideas that intrigued me. I also got to explore and research the various ways of incorporating emphasis and balance in art and design. Besides that, I realised that I tend to get carried away with symbolic meanings. It felt like I focused more on the expression and meanings of the two final pieces instead of focusing on portraying emphasis and balance (even though I did). But I find it fun to find or hide meaning in art and design. I think it's very important for meaning to be present.

Comments