Design Principles - Week 5: Symbol, Image and Words

30/4/2021 - 7/5/2021 / Week 5 - Week 6
Lui Hsiao Hui (Tressa) / 0342003
Design Principles / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Topic 5: Symbol, Image and Words


LECTURES

Week 5: Friday 30/4/2021
Symbol: A sign, shape or object that is used to represent something else (Cambridge Dictionary, 2020). in design, symbols can provide or convey information, equivalent to one or more sentences of text, or even a whole story (Eco, 1976 & Pettersson, 2015).

The need to communicate has brought about symbols - to tell a story, pass a message. Examples: Egyptian hieroglyphs, road signs/signs, logos.


Fig. 1.1 Types of symbols

Pictorial symbols: Image-related and simplified pictures (some kind of realism). They have their usage in conveying a message.

Abstract symbols: Can look like objects they represent but have lesser details. Such as stickman figures, signs, icons, etc. Abstract here is different from the term abstract art. 

Arbitrary symbols: Have no resemblance at all to the objects or the ideas they represent. Invented and constructed. Many are based on geometric shapes and colours. We have to learn arbitrary symbols - example: sign of first aid (red cross).

Fig. 1.2 & 1.3 Arbitrary symbols

Imagery: Users and viewers are able to relate to a concept or a brand if the right images are used in a work or design. Important to use suitable and relevant images when designing.

- Sets an identity, separates brands by the brand image they present.

Typography: The design and arrangement of text to convey a message or concept. Successful use of typography will result in visual hierarchy and balance in a work of design. Use of space, contrast, etc.

Fig. 1.4 Typography out of images, angles and composition


Week 6: Tuesday 4/5/2021
Fig. 2.1 Dr. Charles explaining imagery and stylisation

Fig. can be some form of image identity but not symbol, as it is not a simplified representation of a lion. Images are subject to various interpretations. Images define things for us. Sometimes it may be vague or may digress from the actual meaning/story, so a designer must ensure it correlates to what they're trying to portray. But there are also times were the vagueness is intentional, whereby the designer wants to allow for various interpretations. Stylisation is not symbol, it is merely a design choice.


Fig. 2.2 Typography in posters (typography and imagery)

Typography must match the imagery presented - creating one family. It should show unity and harmony in the design, and also strengthen the imagery/message of the design.


INSTRUCTIONS

1. TWO designs, one for symbol and one for image and words.
    - Design an arbitrary symbol and write 20 to 50 words rationale for your idea. 
    - Create a design that has a combination of imagery and typography. Photographs must be your own.
2. Upload both designs in PDF file in your blog.
3. Send your blog link here.
4. Your blog must be in your actual name for easy identification. Make sure it has:
    a) Visual research
    b) Idea exploration
    c) Feedback from lecturer
    d) Final design outcome (pictures must be neatly cropped and must not be shadowy/blur)
    e) Brief reflection for the week

Materials: Any design software for symbol, and collage work (magazine cut-out, found objects, etc.) for image and words. 


VISUAL RESEARCH

Symbols
Fig. 3.1 Spider-Man symbol evolution

The spiderman symbol also ties in with imagery - spider. The designs throughout the years change based on the story and often it is also because of rebranding. Although it went through many changes, people still recognise it as the spiderman symbol, because it is associated with his superhero name, and of course seen in all films, comic books and merchandise. This can also be a form of arbitrary symbol, because it is learned - the audience are introduced to spiderman, and ever since then they associate him with this made up symbol of a spider. However, the spiderman symbol is more of a pictorial symbol because its clearly a simplified spider.


Fig. 3.2 and 3.3 Icons

Easy to understand, quick to the point. Are simplified pictorial representations.



Imagery
Fig. 3.4 Poster - The Killer Inside Me (2010)

A form of collage work. Using the contrast in colour and black and white to create emphasis. It also adds depth to the design. The imagery also relates to the title, with the hand representing the killer and positioned in the image of the man.


Fig. 3.5 WWF Poster

Arrangement and use of typography to create the image/figure of an elephant. This way of arrangement also is a creative way of putting a description in a poster without it looking boring and stoic. It also shows movement since it's following the contour line of the elephant.



Typography
Fig. 3.6 Poster by Natasha Jen

Creating type with fine lines - sense of movement and creates visual interest. The contrast in the thickness of the type creates emphasis and depth. The designer also uses negative space (gestalt theory figure ground) to create the letter "R" and "2".


Fig. 3.7 Collage by Greg Lamarche

A popular collage style - letter cut-outs. It creates a fun look with all the variety and contrast. The artist arranged the letters based on their sizes to create movement and the illusion of space and depth.


PROGRESS AND IDEA EXPLORATION

1. Symbol

For symbol, we are to design an arbitrary symbol. Initially, I struggled with this because I had no idea what I want to design the symbol for. Then I thought why not try it out using feeling which is the route I often go with when creating artworks. When looking for symbol examples I thought that letters could be symbols too (language is arbitrary), which gave me the idea of using letters (typography) to create an arbitrary symbol.

Fig. 4.1 Symbol progress, Week 6 (5/5/2021)

1. Overlayed letters: I used Adobe Illustrator and overlayed different letters of different typefaces to compose an interesting shape/pattern. 

2. Pencil sketches: After messing around with the letters, I took inspiration from the patterns and sketched out a variety of designs.


Fig. 4.2 Digitising the symbol in Adobe Illustrator, Week 6 (5/5/2021)

3. Digitalisation: I chose to digitise the last pencil sketch. I like the simplicity and how different it looks compared to the others. The design also reminded me of runes and Arabic alphabets. To digitise the symbol, I used the pen tools in Adobe Illustrator.


Final Outcome - Symbol

Fig. 4.3 "Yield", Week 6 (5/5/2021)

My symbol design is based on representing words instead of objects, hence I used letters as my approach. I was also trying to create a symbol similar to ancient inscription letters/fantasy writing. I decided that this symbol represents "Yield" because its shape is reminiscent of a "Y". It was the first word that popped into my head so I went along with it. I chose that word also because I was following my feeling and the flow when designing this symbol, sort of like "yield to the flow and feeling".


Fig. 4.4 Inspiration from overlapping letters, Week 6 (5/5/2021)

Beginning vs the final product. It's interesting to see how the symbol became abstract, as some of the elements (shapes, lines, etc) are eliminated and or exaggerated.



2. Image and Words (Imagery and Typography)

Fig. 5.1 Rough layout (physical collage), Week 6 (4/5/2021)

I didn't have any magazines at home but I had a travel book (Fig. 5.2 below), and the most images I can find from it are buildings and cityscapes. I then decided to create a collage based on people missing traveling due to Covid-19. 


Fig. 5.2 A travel book where I got the cut-outs from, Week 6 (4/5/2021)

RIP the travels we never got in 2020.


Fig. 5.3 Scanning the cut-outs, Week 6 (4/5/2021)

I find physical collage quite limiting and tough to explore with the fixed sizes of the cut-outs, so I decided to scan them all and create a digital collage. I also didn't like how the colours were clashing together. Digital collage allows for more control and manipulation of the elements.


Fig. 5.4 Turning the scanned cut-outs transparent, Week 6 (4/5/2021)

Fig. 5.5 Adjusting the letters, Week 6 (4/5/2021)

I used different fonts in the same type family - Univers LT Std. My intention was to create that popular cut-out text collage look.


Fig. 5.6 Arrangement progress, Week 6 (4/5/2021)

I arranged the elements according to the rule of thirds. The buildings are kept mostly at the bottom half of the rule of thirds because I like the exaggerated negative space. I think it also represents the feeling of emptiness and hopelessness of the collage's meaning (explained under final outcome).


Fig. 5.7 and 5.8 "May we meet again" - unedited vs edited, Week 6 (4/5/2021)

In Fig. 5.7, the buildings' mess of colours make it looked cluttered, and the title is drowning in the cut-outs. With the curves, hue and saturation tonal adjustments in Photoshop, I edited the collage to make the words stand out better. My intention of editing the colour scheme to look this way is to create a psychedelic look, portraying how this isn't real and it's all in the head of the people longing to travel or go out again. It is also fairly muted to evoke the sense of stillness and numbness people feel when in isolation for a long time.


Final Outcome - Image and Words

Fig. 5.9 "May we meet again", Week 6 (4/5/2021)

Medium: Physical and digital collage. I decided to change up the type to a mixture of san-serifs and serifs so it looks more like the text cut-out I was trying to achieve, and it looks much more interesting this way. The letters are placed this way following the line of the cityscape, creating movement across the buildings. The balance in this collage is asymmetrical because there is more visual weight on the left. For the top text, I did custom kerning to make the spaces between the letters even.

I came up with the words "When this is all over, may we meet again." signifying promises people make to visit one another. I got the idea while thinking about the plans and promises my friends and I made about seeing each other again, but that didn't happen because of Covid-19. It's also very fitting because I got the images from a 2020 travel guide book and I thought what better than to create a collage based on Covid-19.


PDF FILE

Fig. 6 Exercise 5: Symbol, Image and Words - PDF, Week 6 (5/5/2021)


FEEDBACK

Verbal feedback
Symbol: Dr. Charles likes how the "Y" can be seen and how it is constructed. The symbol reminded him of an Arabic letter. He noted that it does have a lot of elements but something about the design was urging him to approve it. When looked at from a distance, it has a very unique form. thus not easily replicated. The curves are consistent, which gives off a unique feel to it, almost sinister yet there is a sense of sophistication to it as well.

Collage: The collage is good but the headline was bothering Dr. Charles because of how there are no margins. I clarified that it is intentional because I wanted the negative space and the large distance to represent the emptiness people feel from isolation.


Written feedback
The 5th exercise, symbol; I really like how you have used typography to encase the idea via merging them and decisively positioning it for the emergence of an arbitrary representation. I am glad you have named it. There may be alternatives that you may have thought of such as positioning it in a different orientation, framing, figure-ground experimentation, colour, or additional simplification which you want to experiment with. Overall, really good! As for Collage; I absolutely love the concept! However, is it a mix of manual and digital collage? Also, something about the headline text. It does not shout out enough or maybe the choice of font? A stronger headline may help. see if you can examine that and make your own considerations. Overall, really good!


REFLECTION

Through this exercise, I learned about the different types of symbols, use and importance of imagery along with typography. I had a lot of fun creating the collage for this exercise. The symbol took a bit more brainstorming because I had no idea what to create an arbitrary symbol for, and what was the design approach. In the end, I managed and I'm really happy with the final collage. It is a very significant piece of artwork to me. 


Comments