Design Principles - Week 4: Harmony and Unity

23/4/2021 - 30/4/2021 / Week 4 - Week 5
Lui Hsiao Hui (Tressa) / 0342003
Design Principles / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Topic 4: Harmony and Unity


LECTURES

Week 4: Friday 23/4/2021
This week's design principles are harmony, unity and proportion.

Harmony: Selection of elements that share common traits. In other words, it is the visually satisfying effect of combining similar or related elements such as adjacent colours, similar shapes and related textures. Harmony becomes monotony without variety and contrast.

Unity occurs when these elements are composed in such a way that they are balanced and give a sense of oneness, creating a theme. Harmony and unity work hand in hand. The way it is composed, a sense of stability, arrangement of subject matters and how shapes offset or complement each other can achieve unity etc.

Proportion: The relationship of two or more elements in a design and how they compare with one another. Proportion is said to be harmonious when a correct relationship exists between the elements with respect to size or quantity. Use of proportion in design can result in harmony and unity. Space, asymmetry and symmetry ties in with proportion to create hierarchy of information/visual hierarchy.


Week 5: Tuesday 27/4/2021
Notes:
- Harmony and unity: Relationships between all elements/principle of design.
- Harmony and unity in nature - natural composition; there's harmony and unity in nature.


INSTRUCTIONS

1. TWO designs, one for harmony and one for unity.
2. Upload both designs in PDF file in your blog.
3. Send your blog link here.
4. Your blog must be in your actual name for easy identification. Make sure it has:
    a) Visual research
    b) Idea exploration
    c) Feedback from lecturer
    d) Final design outcome (pictures must be neatly cropped and must not be shadowy/blur)
    e) Brief reflection for the week

Materials: Acrylic, poster colours


VISUAL RESEARCH

Harmony and Unity
Fig. 1.1 & 1.2 Art by Jennifer Healy (@jenniferhealyart)

Similarity and cohesiveness in colours, art style. In Fig. 1.1, the flowers are composed in a way where it frames the girl, although it is a contrasting subject, it still matches the entire drawing because of the colour choice and its seamless incorporation of composition.


Fig. 1.3 Illustration by Rion (@rionior)

Similarity in colours again - highly saturated warm tones. Although there are contrasting subjects (humans and inanimate objects), the way it is composed in the rule of thirds and coloured forms harmony and unity. Everything is cohesive, without one element overshadowing the other.


Fig. 1.4 & 1.5 Illustrations by Awanqi (@aw.anqi)

Repeated elements, use of similar colours (vibrant and muted pastels) and painting style. Repetition of a subject but in various size shows a sense of unity. Fig. 1.5 also reminds me of nature's natural harmonious composition. There is also the difference in proportion in Fig. 1.4 - the angel compared to the birds, as well as variety in angle for an interesting viewpoint and composition.


Fig. 1.6 Design by Luke Brickett (@noir096)

Both cards are contrasts of each other, but with the use of the same colours and type choices, it is obvious that they are a set. When placed together they look whole, although two cards consist of different elements.


Fig. 1.7 Design by Lucas Grassmay (@lucas.grassmay)

Similar to Fig. 1.6, this design shows harmony and unity because of repetition (repeated layout), the same arrangements and alignments of text, typeface and photo of similar subjects.



Proportion
Fig. 1.8 Collage by Dorian Legret (@dorianlegret)

The contrast between the psychedelic statue's head and the standing figure on its nose. Proportions imply size and create the illusion of space and depth. 


Fig. 1.9 Art by Zdzisław Beksiński

Proportion also commands attention and creates a focal point in a composition. In Fig. 1.9, the large statues dominate most of the composition, they also act as an invisible leading line creating visual hierarchy and movement, making viewers look from top to bottom or vice versa. Proportion can also evoke feelings. In this case, feelings of unease, because of how tiny the figure is compared to the large creepy statues.


PROGRESS AND IDEA EXPLORATION

1. Harmony

Fig. 2.1 Self-portrait - harmony sketch, Week 5 (25/4/2021)

For harmony, I wanted to do an abstract self-portrait, with the primary focus of "harmony" being the colours. I felt like painting a self-portrait for this one because I wanted to express myself. Before painting, I did a sketch with graphite pencil on acrylic painting paper.


Fig. 2.2 Acrylic paints used for harmony painting


Fig. 2.3 Painting progress, Week 5 (25/4/2021)

The colours I initially chose were based on Fig. 2.4 below which was digitally painted in Photoshop. However, while the red may look good in digital, it didn't look good on the actual painting. So I switched to using only yellow, green and blue, focusing on analogous colours. Analogous colours are groups of colours that are next to each other in the colour wheel plus a tertiary colour. An analogous colour scheme creates a monochromatic look.


Fig. 2.4 Digitally painted sketch done in Photoshop, Week 5 (25/4/2021)


Final Outcome - Harmony

Fig. 2.5 "Tornado", Week 5 (25/4/2021)

Medium: Acrylic on acrylic painting paper. For the texturing, I used a palette knife and painted thick coats of paint so the brush strokes are obvious. Besides the harmony in colours, there is also contrast. Contrast is needed to create dimension and focal point within a composition, also adding interest and "flare" to an artwork or design. Painting this made me realise that to make a colour look vibrant, the other colours should be a little more muted so it creates the illusion of the other colour being saturated. This is also a form of contrast in the painting. The hands in the painting are the emphasis because they're in the most vibrant colour. They also frame the face, drawing attention to the middle, creating a focal point. The purpose of "messy painting" this piece was to show emotion, and I decided to name it "Tornado" because I thought it represented the mess of emotions and the distorted hands remind me of one.



2. Unity

Fig. 3.1 Unity sketches, Week 5 (27/4/2021)

For unity, I wanted to create surrealism inspired painting, also incorporating the design principle "proportion" from the lecture. I thought of painting a scene where a character faces their fears/demons/inner self. I think it also fits the theme of "unity" well, sort of like creating unity with oneself, making peace within.

I did 4 different composition sketches. The first and second are similar, just that the large figures in the second are much more exaggerated. The third sketch has central balance, and I was also trying to use those large figures as a way to frame the scene. The last sketch is an idea that the character is falling into the arms of the large figures, though I think that doesn't look as good. In these sketches, I also kept in mind the design principle "movement" which was our last exercise.


Fig. 3.2 Acrylic paints used for unity painting


Fig. 3.3 Painting progress, Week 5 (27/4/2021)

Lots of layering, blending and dry brushing. It was quite fun to do the texture of the smoke on the sides. This time I used warm analogous colours, opposite the cool analogous colours in my harmony painting.


Final Outcome - Unity

Fig. 3.4 "Welcome Home", Week 5 (27/4/2021)

Medium: Acrylic on acrylic painting paper. For the texturing, I used thick coats of paint so the brush strokes can be seen. I'm very satisfied with the contrast in the texturing of the smoke and shadowy figures. I also incorporated movement in the shadowy figures - viewers would look from the top to bottom or vice versa.

As mentioned above, this painting is about facing oneself/fears, trying to make peace with one another, hence the title "Welcome Home". "Home" symbolising self. I decided to use warm colours to symbolise the intensity of dealing with ourselves, and that it's not always easy. The more I thought about the title the more I realised that it could also indicate that the two shadowy figures are the parents if the viewer were to interpret the word "home" with the means of family. In that case, it would look as if the character has a negative relationship with their parents, because the figures are large and daunting, towering over the little character. Interesting how it could mean different things entirely with a different context or interpretation.


PDF FILE
Fig. 4 Exercise 4: Harmony and Unity - PDF, Week 5 (27/4/2021)


FEEDBACK

Dr. Charles was quite impressed with the final outcomes and said that they definitely portray harmony and unity. He also mentioned how he found my harmony sketch interesting and that he likes to see sketches like that because it brings out a lot of character. The final harmony painting reminded Dr. Charles of cyberpunk apparently and said it's something he'd put on his wall with ultraviolet light. I can see where he's coming from because of the neon yellow in the painting.


REFLECTION

This week I got to have fun painting with acrylic which I've not used in months. From the lectures, I've learned to observe what makes a design or something harmonious, with many aspects such as colour, subjects, shape etc. Through Dr. Charles's lecture, I realised that nature consists of natural harmony and unity. I thought that was really insightful and it gives me a new perspective on nature and that I should always be observant of the world around me.

Comments