Design Principles - Week 3: Repetition and Movement

16/4/2021 - 23/4/2021 / Week 3 - Week 4
Lui Hsiao Hui (Tressa) / 0342003
Design Principles / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Topic 3: Repetition and Movement


LECTURES

Week 3: Friday 16/4/2021
In Dr. Jinchi's pre-recorded lecture, we were taught four more design principles: repetition, movement, hierarchy and alignment. As usual after this lecture, I did some visual research on these design principles below.

Week 4: Tuesday 20/4/2021
Fig. 1 Hierarchy demonstration by Dr. Charles

Dr. Charles demonstrated this week's design principles to us using watercolour. At the start of the class he also mentioned that while it is important to know the definitions of each design principle, we should have our own interpretations and definitions of the principles as we are the designers/artists. I thought that was really insightful and interesting.


INSTRUCTIONS

1. TWO designs, one for repetition and one for movement.
2. Upload both designs in PDF file in your blog.
3. Send your blog link here.
4. Your blog must be in your actual name for easy identification. Make sure it has:
    a) Visual research
    b) Idea exploration
    c) Feedback from lecturer
    d) Final design outcome (pictures must be neatly cropped and must not be shadowy/blur)
    e) Brief reflection for the week

Materials: Watercolour, soft pastels


VISUAL RESEARCH

Repetition
Fig. 2.1 Design by C. P. Silver (@cpsilver.xyz)

Repetition in shape (circles). The way it's arranged creates the illusion of movement, some are overlapped and closely knit together, while some are spaced out further (good use of space), indicating the circles are moving away from each other.


Fig. 2.2 Design by Cristian Iacob (@c.icb)

Repetition in shape (stars and ovals). Variation in the scale of the stars and arrangement creates the illusion of movement.


Fig. 2.3 Illustration by Refael Idan Suissa (@irefaels)

The illustration is repeated, sort of becoming like a pattern. Although the moon isn't the exact copy, it still counts as repetition because it is of the same colour value, scale and object.



Movement
Fig. 3.1 "Amarelo" collage by Roger Mattos (@linearcollages)

Repeated pattern (lines) creating the illusion of movement. This draws attention to the girl highlighted in the yellow circle - emphasis. This collage is quite psychedelic too. The artist also used the rule of thirds as the elements are placed in the center.


Fig. 3.2 Design by Ryan Su (@studio.ryan)

Lines creating the illusion of movement. When the lines are placed very close to each other it gives the illusion of difference in colour value - darker when placed very close, lighter when placed far apart.


Fig. 3.3 "Forced changes" art by Malena Bozzini (@malenabozzini)

Distortion in the painting creates a movement effect as if the subject is moving from left to right.


Fig. 3.4 "Corrupted" art by Allen Williams (@i_justdraw)

Viewers would be drawn to the character's eyes and strong expression, then follow the shape/contour of the horns.



Hierarchy
Fig. 4.1 Design by Meindl Taxer (@meindltaxer)

Hierarchy: what's more important. Contrast in subject and scale, creating emphasis and showing a level of hierarchy. The placement also guides viewers to look at the most significant object first - large circle, small circle and then the figure.



Alignment
Fig. 5.1 Design by Alina Maria Rybacka (@alina_maria_r)

Fig. 5.2 Design by Matthew Lumb (@_mattlumb)

Fig. 5.3 Design by Meindl Taxer (@meindltaxer)


PROGRESS AND IDEA EXPLORATION

1. Repetition

Fig. 6.1 Repetition sketches, Week 4 (18/4/2021)

My first idea for repetition (left sketch) is to paint repeated humanoid silhouettes. The first figure would be standing straight, while the other two leaning against the first. The concept behind this idea is reliance and support. I wanted to relate my work with personal issues as a form of self-expression.

While sketching my first idea, I thought about how the slouching figures looked very sad, which reminded me of the tarot card "Three of Swords". Ironically, it's also very fitting because there are 3 figures in the sketch. After this revelation, I created the second sketch. This time I think it portrays the design principle repetition much stronger because the elements are repeated more than the first idea. I proceeded with this idea because of the symbolic meaning, how personal it is to me and I think it's also a better and clearer representation for repetition.


Inspiration - Repetition
Fig. 6.2 Tarot Card "Three of Swords"

When upright, the Three of Swords represents pain. Whereas, when reversed it represents negative self-talk, releasing pain, optimism, forgiveness.


Final Outcome - Repetition

Fig. 6.3 "Sisyphus", Week 4 (20/4/2021)

Medium: Watercolour. Repetition in subjects - souls/human figures and swords. I left the background empty for stronger contrast and the use of negative space. Besides that, this painting shows a sense of visual hierarchy - the difference in scale and positioning of different subjects, as well as movement - diagonal alignment/leading line.

This piece is about the repetition of pain and obstacles in life, hence the title "Sisyphus". I related this piece to my personal life and it is very meaningful to me. Some may interpret the yellow figure as the only person who survived, while others may perceive the yellow figure and blue souls as the same person - perhaps the blue souls are his old self life has killed.

In the Greek myth, Sisyphus was punished for cheating death twice by being forced to roll an immense boulder up a hill only for it to roll down every time it neared the top, repeating this action for eternity. I thought it was very fitting for this piece as it represents repetition, and my intention of the yellow figure is to show how we constantly climb back up just to be struck down again by obstacles in life (swords).

Symbolism in colours:
- Red longswords: Brutality, pain, obstacles, harsh reality.
- Blue souls: Past-selves, all the parts of the persona that's killed, sadness.
- Yellow climbing figure: Hope, new soul/self, try again.


Fig. 6.4 "Sisyphus" with the use of the rule of thirds

I actually subconsciously drew out the composition within the rule of thirds. I only realised this when I loaded the scan into Photoshop to apply the grids. I'm quite surprised at how close in accuracy the subjects are aligned with the guidelines. The only thing I think I should improve on is the alignment of the first sword - it would look better if it's tilted a little more to the left. Overall, I think there's a good use of space and composition.


Alternate Version
Fig. 6.5 "Sisyphus" red version, Week 4 (20/4/2021)

A red and black version which is more of my style. This version gives off a different vibe, it is more striking and suits the symbolic expression best in my opinion. 


2. Movement

Fig. 7.1 Rough collage - digital sketch, Week 4 (18/4/2021)

Originally, I thought of creating this piece for repetition because of the repeated hands, but I think it suits movement better. I took reference photos of my own hands and created a quick, rough collage in Photoshop. Fig. 7.1 shows the composition I'm going for.


Fig. 7.2 Painting progress, Week 4 (18/4/2021)

For the background colour, I wanted it to be mint green but diluted watercolours aren't as vibrant, so I tried using forest green. However, I didn't like how it looked. It wasn't creating good contrast so I decided to cut out the hands and paste them on black paper.


Final Outcome - Movement

Fig. 7.3 "You know you need me", Week 4 (20/4/2021)

Medium: Watercolour. Repetition in subjects - hands. There's also emphasis on the single hand because of the surrounding negative space (black background). Additionally, all of the hands are differentiated by contrasting primary colours.

The story behind this piece is about giving and taking, somewhat also related to reliance and support which was my repetition piece. My interpretation of the hands above is that they are the takers, while the lonely hand at the bottom is the giver who never gets the same treatment in return.


Fig. 7.4 "You know you need me" - flipped upside down

The odd thing is when the painting is flipped upside down, the giver suddenly has a sense of authority and status because of its top placement, and it is alone. To me, it looks like it's being picky, choosing which unfortunate soul to help. I think it's interesting that meanings can change by just flipping things upside down. Or perhaps it's just me reading into things too much.


Fig. 7.5 "You know you need me" with the use of the rule of thirds

Curved leading line. I painted the bottom, top left and right hands red as a way to frame the movement, sort of like a curved v-shape, so it draws viewers' eyes to follow the movement of the artwork.  


PDF FILE
Fig. 3.4 Exercise 3: Repetition and Movement - PDF, Week 4 (20/4/2021)


FEEDBACK

Dr. Charles mentioned that I have a keen eye for creating artworks. For the repetition painting, the yellow figure doesn't stand out much, he suggested maybe painting the outline of the figure instead or perhaps use a different colour but it may not suit the concept. Besides that, the third sword is cut off, which Dr. Charles preferred to have it not cut off. He also agreed with me and found that the red version of repetition is much stronger because of the contrast. For the movement painting, he said it definitely shows movement, and he suggested combining both flipped and unflipped painting together at the hands which I thought was a clever idea. Overall there's a good composition in the final outcomes.


REFLECTION

I really enjoyed this week's exercise. It's also been months since I've used watercolours so it was a good practice. I had fun coming up with ideas and implementing the design principles in my work. I'm particularly very pleased with my repetition artwork because I got to express myself. 



Comments